Fuel Leak Out Of Carb

stephen1967

I have recently bought an.2011 evo 250.I have noticed when the bike is running there is a small trickle of fuel .leaking out and going onto the ground. I can`t really see where it is coming from. Somebody suggested it could be a sticking float, how would I rectify this problem ? Many thanks.

Is it leaking from the overflow pipe out the bottom or from somewhere else?

This may help

The inlet valve and seat may be gummed up or have grit in it and sticking open.

You can see the valve attached to the float assembly when it's being refitted, the seat is in the card body that the valve sits in.

A good clean with carb cleaner may help and I find a can of compressed air is handy (from PC shops), don't scrape at it with a screw driver!!

It's usually common if the bike has been stood a while with old fuel in the carb.

If you remove the carb and undo the float bowl off the bottom and it's all slimy and green in there, it's probably gummed up.

Sometimes a gentle tap with a screwdriver handle can free it off without removing or unscrewing, but this will only help move a bit of grit (or rust in my case!)

There are other reasons it may leak, like the float bowl gasket leaking, (grit in the seal), a float punctured (is one full of petrol?) or the float level incorrect and the fuel level in the bowl is too high.

The last one is best left to someone who is familier with these carbs or you have the correct setting and are confident you can set it correctly.

When working on the carb, clean off the outside well before opening it up. It's delicate inside, so no hammers! Try not to bend the float brace and make sure everything is spotless before screwing back together.