Gas Gas Stuck At Full Rpm

sidewaysinto3rd

Hello (new here)!!!

Bought a used 04 TXT pro 300 to get into the sport ... second day out on the ride I ran out of gas (my auxiliary tank wasn't feeding my main tank due to an air leak), so we poured some fuel in the main tank, fixed the siphon and kept going. At this point the gas was flowing from the aux to the main tank slowly.

A little farther up the road on a slight uphill climb it just went full throttle on me and was stuck wide open. I tried to stall it by dropping the clutch and sure enough it just got the wheel spinning at mach 3. Bike on the side, kill switch wouldn't kill the motor, tried plugging the exhaust, still kept going. Between me and 2 of my buddies we managed to kill the engine by standing on the rear brake, and trying to plug the exhaust.

this went on for a good minute.

Walked the bike to the truck and am about to open it up to see what might have caused this.

The throttle wasn't stuck as the cable would spring back and felt like it actuated the carb.

I hear if it runs out of gas it does this, but I will take my carb out, clean it and see if the slide is stuck by any chance. I will also make sure there are no kinks in the throttle cable routing.

Anything else I need to watch out for ?

Thanks

That's odd. Running lean when running out of gas doesn't, in my experience, result in a full blown rev out. Sure the revs pick up but not like you experienced.

Clean everything. Check carb cable (not likely according to your description). Check for air leaks. Check backside of slide before cleaning carb to see if any muck got to the slide and caused it to stick.

I have only had my bike rev to the moon once and it was when I had the tank off and it was running out of gas and got very lean. Kill switch didn't kill it so I just pulled the plug wire off (ouch) which was easy with the tank off.

Tip, don't safety wire the rubber tube onto your throttle housing at the bar end. It is designed so that if your throttle gets jammed (by unplanned contact with the dirt) you can simply pull the cable free from the housing and wheel. If it is safety wired you cannot do that.