More 2003 Rev 3 Questions - From A Newbie

grumpyoldman

Sorry to certainly drag up some old topics but......

If I just take off the headlight unit and waterproof the open connector in some way, I assume everything will work OK (except for the headlight of course :rolleyes: ).

Three prop stand questions.

Why is the foot so small that it only stands up on concrete - can anything be done about it? There's not always a tree to hand.

The pivot bolt fixing nut rubs on my back tyre. Should it be facing in or out? I can't get at the hex head anyway so it may be the wrong way round.

Is it safe to pinch the fixing bracket together a bit to take out some of the slack or will it snap? I could always put some washers in as an alternative.

Cheers

David

Tape up headlight wires - mine does not have a light fitted either.

The stand is a bit naff. Mine has a plastic bobbin attached to the end to raise it an inch.

Try replacing the whole bolt bit and while its off either pack out with suitable washers or use a vice to squeeze it up a little or a bit of both.

Just had a look at my Rev3 200 03 side stand and it is nowhere near the tyre is mounted in front of the crossmember on the swing arm juust behind the foot rest on the left side. The stand does not have a large foot so sinks into the ground easily Mine has bent over the years of use.( sorry abuse) The stand should allmost reach the wheel spindle

Edited by Naichuff

Cheers guys.

I'll get the light off and buy a number board (belonging to two clubs and with different riding numbers is a pain, even allowing for the fact there is no-where to put them if the light unit is fitted). Mine was road legal when I bought it but that's another can of worms - insurers wanted me to put a seat on it!!!!!!

I've just got my brain in gear and realised it's the spring hook that fouls the tyre. :blush:

It's still down to the slack on the pivot point I suppose.

My mate is an engineer so I'll get him to make me a bolt on footplate when he comes a visiting next month.

Hi David.

They all get a bit wobbly with age. An engineer, with a lathe, could turn the pivot bolt down to make it parallel again, drill out the holes in the prop stand and bracket, then turn up a bush to make it a good fit again. If he made a couple of spare bushes they could easily be replaced as they started to wear before the pivot holes became oval again. Also if he was making bolt on prop stand feet, I own a couple of Beta’s with the same problem.

Cheers.

Hi Kevin!!

I'll get him to look when he comes on 11th May. The annoying thing is he lives in Bideford so can't do any trial and error fitting without posting backwards and forwards.

I was thinking about seeing if a specific or universal foot enlarger could be made up. Maybe I can make my millions and do even less work.

I tried google this morning and there is nothing out there except I recall a 'Camel Toe' being sold on the KTM forum but that had bolt heads protruding on the ground side bit which was utter madness as it wrecked tarmac and gave a wonky footprint. They may have fixed it by using welded studs now.

It appears that the easiest solution is to ally weld another plate on the bottom of the stand so I'll make up a cardboard template and the steel fabricators down the road will do it for me.

Not going to make my millions though sadly as there is nothing to sell except the idea and I may not be the first to think of it :(

My Techno stand is similar, bent to hell, foot doesn't sit parallell to the ground, and is too small, solution - bend it back (we'll see how long it stays that shape), cut the foot off and weld a bigger piece of round plate on in it's place, job done.

Edited by rallymadsam