Techno - Selecting Gears When Stationary

rallymadsam

I've recently done a bit of work on by 96 Techno, replaced water pump seal and the case gaskets/seals etc, also filed down the edges of the tabs on the clutch plates and basket ever so slightly to take the notches/wear out, and obviously changed the oil.

The clutch is now a fair bit better, and everything generally seems ok, all fine when riding, but when I come to a stop and want to change gear, or select neutral I'm having trouble to get anything, the lever feels quite stiff and if in bottom tends to jump to 2nd, missing neutral, no matter how delicate I try to be.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Sam

good tip that if it works.

i get this problem on my gasser, especially when its cold.

i get so frustrated with it ive started to kill the engine, pop it into neutral and then kick it over again

• Like 1

Try different oils - maybe 10w-40 semi synthetic engine oil, or 75 fully syntheticgear oil.

Use good quality hydraulic clutch fluid like Castrol motorcycle brake fluid - there is quite a diffence between this and cheaper fluids or fluids that are intended for cars with ABS.

Cheers

The design of a motorbike gearbox is such that any clutch drag will load up the gear dogs when the bike is stationary. It is impossible to prevent clutch drag completely but it can be minimised. The important things for minimising drag are:

The steel plates are flat

The steel plates are rough

The oil is the right viscosity

The disengagement travel is sufficient

The springs all have the same rate and preload (the pressure plate stays flat as it moves out)

The fingers have smooth edges

The hub has smooth splines

When you are moving the shift lever, do it in a way that you can control how far you move it. I often use my hand to find neutral so I can control the movement of the shifter better.