Can't Remove Fork Seal. Stuck Real Bad

trialswarrior

One of the fork seals is stuck real bad. It took an usual amount of slide hammer motions to separate the stanchion from the slider. However, once I got the two separated I noticed that part of the seal was still in there. The slider and bushing just ripped through the seal leaving the outer seal race in the stanchion.

I'm thinking to use a dremel tool and carefully cut the seal race. Has anyone run into the same problem and what worked best to solve it ?

"ya thin hes thick, hees sen the restofit!"

Cope, you are starting to write like you speak, you must be from Texas with penmanship like that ! LOL :chairfall:

Was that your attempt at an Austrian accent? :hyper:

Maybe you where asking me if I thought he was dumb? No I was not, many smart people have forgot about the wavy retaining clip and just start banging away.

"ya thin hes thick, hees sen the restofit!"

Cope, you are starting to write like you speak, you must be from Texas with penmanship like that ! LOL :chairfall:

Was that your attempt at an Austrian accent? :hyper:

Maybe you where asking me if I thought he was dumb? No I was not, many smart people have forgot about the wavy retaining clip and just start banging away.

Yes, I had removed the clip. First time I've ever seen this happen. Some how the bushin at the bottom of the slider and the one just below the seal got through the seal without pulling it out. I guess the outer seal race is too thin and didn't catch the bushins. So now how do I get what's left of the seal out ?

i had same problem last wk with gas gas 125 where slider came out & left seal behind i gently tapped screwdriver between seal & fork leg because seal was plastic i managed to bend seal & lever out

if this was the marzzochi forks then the bushings do not bring out the seal, it will slide right past it only the older forks pre 2005 pulled out the seal with the stanchion. on the gassers im talking about.

many smart people have forgot about the wavy retaining clip and just start banging away.

Reminds me of the old joke "If I knew you were a virgin I'd have taken more time" - girlfriend reples "If I knew we had more time I'd have taken my tights off"

The morale of this story is - don't spoil things by rushing.

If the outer part of your seal is metal go very gently with the dremmel - don't want to spoil the housing.

A way I have used is to MIG weld an old bolt onto the band. This works well with needle roller races in swing arms as well but you have to shield carefully against MIG spatter damage.

If the outer part is just "rubber" a paint stripping hot air gun will soften it.

Cheers

Edited by Dadof2

if this was the marzzochi forks then the bushings do not bring out the seal, it will slide right past it only the older forks pre 2005 pulled out the seal with the stanchion. on the gassers im talking about.

yes it did have marzzochi forks 2010 Gas Gas