Gas Gas Clutch Work

chris91

I have just managed to find a new clutch kit for my Gas Gas 2010 txt pro 250cc. After meny phone calls trying to find one with them all saying sorry we do not have any in stock and we don't know when we are going to recive them from Gas Gas (dp clutch kits). Also alot of shops said the didn't have the surflex clutch kit instock aswell! I thought to my self oh no what am i going to do, so I had one last place to phone and that was trialsbits and he said I have one left on the shelf.

I think that made my day!

I have just been outside removing the old clutch nice easy job to do. I then measured the old plates and the read 10mm in thickness instead of the 9.75-9.80mm they are ment to be.

All I have to do now is wait for my new clutch to come weds.

Hope it comes.

What thickness are the steel plates in your pack?

Most of the new clutch packs come with two 2mm thick steel discs, two

fibers of the same thickness and the third is a variable plate that is chosen

to set the installed pack width. The third disc should always be installed

first. Because the two steel discs are 2mm, it's unusual that you can set

the pack width with the old style steel plates (they come in 1.3, 1.4. 1.5,

1.6mm, although there is supposed to be a 1.8 available, I've never seen

one) because the difference between the 2mm and the replaced disc is

generally a little too much and the pack ends up too thin. I usually save

all old fibers in good shape to help a rider get by until they get a new clutch.

Sometimes you can mix and match to come up with a suitable pack.

Jon

Hello Jon just measured the old plates and they are 2mm each and the clutch fibre plates are alson 2mm each. The new pack comes set to 9.80mm from the shop with new fibre plates and contact plates.

Cheers chris

Hello Jon just measured the old plates and they are 2mm each and the clutch fibre plates are alson 2mm each. The new pack comes set to 9.80mm from the shop with new fibre plates and contact plates.

Cheers chris

Yes, the new clutch is a drop-in, just be sure to put the thicker plate in first (the directions are usually on the package). The clutch "action" will improve after a little break-in time.

Jon

How would you wear the clutch in and how long would it take to wear in? New to the trials seen so after abit of info.

Cheers chris

No problem, just ride. The range of engagement and drag may change slightly (for the better) but just go out and have fun.

Jon

O I go enjoy lol went out for my first trial on 20th may and really had fun and enjoyed myself. Dropped 88 out of 160 but I went to learn and everyone was going out there way to help me. Also my clutch was dragging through day and it was that bad that I had to switch of to get neutral and off to push bike backwards, but was a good day none the less

Chris,

In My HONEST and Humble opinion is, hope this will help, That the Gas Gas PRO MODELS will not really ever "not drag" a little, it is something that we as Gas Gas riders have come to "deal with". I am biased, and like my bike this way, but because I am sure, that I am "used to it".

you will learn the couple of things, we Gas Gas rider/owners do or try to do... When you know you are going to stop and need/want neutral, you find neutral whenever possible, before you completely stop, with your foot. If you are stopped, I reach down and move the lever with my hand to pull or push the lever firmly & slowly, but without jerking motion, to the neutral click... If I forget, most time I kill the bike as well.

As you get used to riding, you will learn to ride the rear brake ever so slightly.

I know, Montesa and other riders will laugh at this notion, but I cant help it either, and you just get used to it, in fact I am so used to it, when I rode a friends bike, it throws me off (timing and "feeling" wise) when the bike is completely free... As I lose balance, I find letting out on the clutch, with brakes full on, can help me regain balance (as long as I am moving my body the correct way of course). so slight pressure of that dragging clutch, can help you balance a slight bit, as well... I like the way we can vary how quickly or slowly the clutch engages, with oil, as well as the clutch pack/finger measurements, so dont throw the old clutch away!

BTW... Be ABSOLUTELY sure that there is a TINY bit (like a half of milimeter or so) of free play at your clutch lever, so that the hydraulics can adjust the amount of brake fluid is in the line, between Master cylinder, and slave (which is inside the clutch case you know)... At the lever, there is a pin that pushes on a cuped rod, with spring that then it pushes on the master cylinder's plunger. you can feel the difference kind of slight, but it is noticable, if not you need to losen the lever's adjuster a turn until or so, until you do... make sure that you feel the difference on that spring before the master cylinder plunger (solid)... If you dont, what you will find is, the clutch/engine and hydraulic line can warm up, expand the fluid in the clutch line, and actually disengage the clutch slightly depending on heat of riding conditions and such.

I freely admit, some riders don't like this clutch thing, at all. FWIW, most I have seen get a Gas Gas after any other bike they have owned, get used to it fairly short time, you being new all around, might take a tiny bit of time, I dont know.

Edited by Sting32

Thanks for the info sting, the new clutch was a surflex and was wrong measuring 10.30mm width so sent it back and put old clutch in after flushing old oil out and putting in elf htx740 now it feels so much better still there slightly but only very slightly. Luckily they will take other clutch back for full refund. It only came with 2 contact plate at 1.6mm each and giving new cliche wrong width. When I get on a proper comp sting can I add you as a friend on here so if I have any other problems or issues I can ask you please?

Thanks again all for the help I find all the trials people are very helpfull