Techno Stopped And Now Won't Start Help Please

trh71

Whilst out at the weekend, my lads 1999 beta techno 200cc just stopped between sections.

when we came across my very red faced, puffing and panting 15 year old, he said it reved a bit then stopped???

Just stopping, yes, but why rev a bit? he might be misstaken?

Anyway, i put a new plug in, good strong spark, flushed the "nice and clean" carb out again.

Kick, kick, kick,............You get the picture!

Nothing.

Wet plug, wet exhaust! (now off, as well as air filter)

Checked the woodruff key, As mine had sheared in the passed, flywheel wasnt tight, but key OK

So here i am asking for your help, as my head's getting sore! :wall:

Whilst out at the weekend, my lads 1999 beta techno 200cc just stopped between sections.

when we came across my very red faced, puffing and panting 15 year old, he said it reved a bit then stopped???

Just stopping, yes, but why rev a bit? he might be misstaken?

Anyway, i put a new plug in, good strong spark, flushed the "nice and clean" carb out again.

Kick, kick, kick,............You get the picture!

Nothing.

Wet plug, wet exhaust! (now off, as well as air filter)

Checked the woodruff key, As mine had sheared in the passed, flywheel wasnt tight, but key OK

So here i am asking for your help, as my head's getting sore! :wall:

i take it its sparking ,, if it did rev up that sounds like it ran out of fuel and went lean ,but doesnt explain the wet plug that sounds like compression spark issue

Difficult one over the internet!

Reving up could be a sign of an air leak, crank case gasket, main bearing seals, inlet tract seals etc. These will lower compression and make bike difficult to restart.

If it revved hard and ran dry it may have nipped the piston ring by piston dragging in bore - again hard to start due to low compression.

It would not explain the revving up but could be break in ignition lead which is only in open circuit when lead is in plug installed postion - try an HT strobe light to see.

Try a good dose of easy start direct into plug hole.

Being a BETA of that age I would not rule out an ignition fault even if the plug sparks outside the engine.

Cheers

Hi

Most things have been said already, sorry buty not sure if the bike is water cooled or not, if it is then check coolant level it could be sucking in through head gasket.

Assunming that the the choke is working ok in the carb I would check the reed valves as they become brittle, (especially if they are the originals) and sometimes can break,

Being a Beta I would also check the electrics, check the wires make sure there is a good earth to the coil, check the ht lead, give it a gentle pull to make sure its connected properly.

Hope you get it sorted.

TLTEL

Right up date

My lad said he was up in the revs just about to change gear, but when he shut off it didn't for a couple of seconds then cut out?

Yes it's water cooled, But level ok

Good strong spark no matter how you have the plug lead

Reed block ok, had that out last night

Even tried it with easy start

I don't know, it just dosen't sound right when you kick it over

I think I'll put it back together and get it to someone who know more than me!

Edited by trh71

Right up date

My lad said he was up in the revs just about to change gear, but when he shut off it didn't for a couple of seconds then cut out?

Yes it's water cooled, But level ok

Good strong spark no matter how you have the plug lead

Reed block ok, had that out last night

Even tried it with easy start

I don't know, it just dosen't sound right when you kick it over

I think I'll put it back together and get it to someone who know more than me!

needs a compression test and if thats ok try a strobelight on when kicking with plug in as mentioned as spark can be breaking down under compression