Bottoming Out On Gas Gas Txt 50 Boy

juanroberts

We have two blue little trials bikes and when they bottom out (most notably when dad is riding them) the tire rubs the rear fender hard enough to create a braking action and to wear down the fender. Any ideas on how to limit this action, perhaps a stopper on the rear spring?

I have a real hard time searching this forum since the search feature seems to ignore words that are three letters in length, including boy, txt, gas, 50, etc. Any ideas on what the key to finding the "50 TXT boy" threads are?

Thanks!

After these posts I was hoping for at least a sympathy reply. Did any of the 3 repliers finish reading the first sentence before replying and downing their pint? (Note to self: never ask questions during limey pub hours.)

I ride a Montesa 4RT as displayed right under my name/avatar. I have too many bikes actually. And if you guys have yet to ride a "50 TXT Boy", you are missing out, its one of the best pit bikes out there. It is strong enough for a man but made for a kid, even more so than the OSETs my kids also have (again, see my Avatar).

The bikes also bottom with my kids on them, I can even hear the tire rubbing and I feel bad how the involuntary braking action makes the little guys lose their balance a little bit.

Now for some costructive feedback. How about wrapping climber rope around the rear shock's shaft, or would wrapping around the spring coils be better?

Have you tried adjusting the spring preload ? I know it looks like the spring isn't adjustable but it is. If you look at the lower part of the shock you will see that there are grooves and the spring seat has a wire C clip under it. After compressing the spring you can move the C clip up to the next groove.So adjusting the preload.

It's quit a few years sins my boy was on the Gas Gas 50 boy. but I remember it as a great little bike.

Edited by paul250

Have you tried adjusting the spring preload ? I know it looks like the spring isn't adjustable but it is. If you look at the lower part of the shock you will see that there are grooves and the spring seat has a wire C clip under it. After compressing the spring you can move the C clip up to the next groove.So adjusting the preload.

It's quit a few years sins my boy was on the Gas Gas 50 boy. but I remember it as a great little bike.

I'll second this, adjust the spring as above, If the spring is not adjustable look around the breakers for a similar harder spring that you could fit to the existing shock body.

My son has a 03 bike and it will bottom out if i stand on it but with him it's just right as he is only 7.

I wouldn't ride his bike exept to maybee check it, even though my limey ass is generally smaller, as it will wreck the clutch very fast with me on it.

Good luck with it buddy.

I'll second this, adjust the spring as above, If the spring is not adjustable look around the breakers for a similar harder spring that you could fit to the existing shock body.

My son has a 03 bike and it will bottom out if i stand on it but with him it's just right as he is only 7.

I wouldn't ride his bike exept to maybee check it, even though my limey ass is generally smaller, as it will wreck the clutch very fast with me on it.

Good luck with it buddy.

Too funny Steve. Hey, we have two TXT Boy 50's. On one of them my son was 4 when he started riding it, so I even cut a coil/loop off the rear shock's spring and wrapped the spring in rubber hosing, which allowed for an even lower seat height (roughly 20.5 inches) than just putting the clip on the 3rd groove (that alone gives about 21.5 inches seat height). Mind you this is while the spacers that go inside the front forks were removed. The other Boy (strong enoung for a man, but ridden by a girl) bottoms as well. I like them low for the kids to get courage, although its getting close to the point of raising the clip a notch on the latter bike.

I did not get any feasible recommendations on preventing the bottoming, and despite the spring sag, I feel it is the shock body's duty to stop it from bottoming out, so what I did was wrap a cut road bicycle's inner tube 4-times around the shock's rod, and that did the trick, no more rear tire rubbing even while daddy is jumping it.

Thanks and cheers!

John