Bad Clutch Slip

yamty

I recently purchased a used full clutch kit from ebay as my clutch boss was damaged it all seemed in good condition but now that i have assembled it the clutch is slipping so bad the bike can only just pull away. does anyone know what the problem could be?

Cheers Lewis

First guess. It's been a long time since I worked with the Mono clutches, but in section 3-19 of the owner's manual (for the 350 anyway), it shows an adjustment in the center of the pressure plate that may need to be reset, ie backed out a little. I'd start there first. There may be a specification in the manual as to how to measure the clutch plates for wear and the number of plates in the pack just to be sure everything is good to start with.

Jon

ye i had the center adjustment set to how it says in the manual, and im pretty sure all the plates are there. so i cant think what else to check the plates looked as though they had a bit of wear left in them.

Cheers

It sounds like you've covered the major things, I agree, you may have to go back and reverse engineer the assembly to see if theres a small issue somewhere.

Those clutches were designed for the big-bore MX engine and they don't usually slip unless theres a problem.

Good luck!

Jon

Cable Cable Cable . It seem's silly but I had the same problem I quadruple check everything untill someone mentionned the cable. When removed from the bike it look ok but it would'nt slide all the way.So I was burn one time now it's the first thing I check.

Guy

yamty .................. when you say "the center adjustment set to how it says in the manual" did you mean the pushrod/ball adjuster?

Last time I did mine, I had to push the lever hard (to keep it line-up with the case mark) while adjusting the pushrod screw.

I assume that the ball / rod / lever-arm are not worn in any way?

If yours is like mine then it's a very fine line between bite or slip.

Good luck

Alan

it turned out that the springs i had in it were too weak, i put some other ones i had in and its now working much better. i think the springs iv got in it now are maybe off a mx bike. thanks for all your advice.