First Time 4Rt Owner

flappy

Hi all, today I have at last picked up my first 4RT after a long long time of wanting one and have to say what a beautiful beast she is. Anyway, I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on running the bike in, how long before I change the oil (s), filter etc and general advice for keeping the bike tip top.

Many thanks

Hi and welcome to the 4rt club. When you start the bike, do not touch the throttle, kick it over and let it tick over until the fan kicks in, do not touch the throttle until the fan comes on, (it saves the plug from fouling) then ride, (I do this while I'm getting changed into my riding kit. If you have problems starting, reset the throttle, by opening the throttle fully and slowly kicking the engine over twice and then release the throttle, if your havimg problems starting, Pidcocks have a part that improves starting, tick over rpm mustn't be too low either, you can buy an hour meter/rev counter to set your tick over rpm, (I got one from the US for $15, it's very small). Clean the air filter after every ride/trial, but don't over oil it, otherwise it's harder to start. If its a new bike don't labour the engine or rev too high and change the engine oil and filter after 15 hours, (you can extend this a little bit once its run in). Make sure you regularly grease the "dog bone" suspension bearings (it's not a long job). Use a filter when refuelling, you don't want to get any crap or water in your fuel, the fuel pump doesn't like it. Regulary oil the throttle grip barrel and handle bar, for a nice smooth action. You may want to change to a fast action throttle, it's a slow as standard. If you find the standard gearing a bit high, change to a 9 front and either a 42 or 43 rear.

• Like 1

Welcome to the gang - glad you enjoy, Mainly same as above. I tend to change engine oil and filter every 4 to 5 months but do an oil change in between. I always clean brakes after every event and a clean air filter, A freshly oiled filter especilally if using a spray filter oil makes the bike a pig to start, I always oil the filter and then leave it an hour or so before fitting to the bike. Gerabox oil changed same time as engine oil -I use ATF but there is a whole host of forum posts on this subject. Fit a case saver to front sproket - you'll regret if you don't and your change comes off, Fit some mesh to air vents on mudguard to stop too much junk getting into air filter. I cut up a frying pan cover and used soldering iron to melt into plastic on underside of mudguard, Footrest brackets may need a little strenghtening over time as they are quiet soft. A bigger bash plate is also a good idea if riding hard on rocks. Apart from that just get out enjoy one of the best quality bikes about.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the info, it's those sorts of tips you can only find out from people that own the bikes. I picked up a case saver when I got the bike, thought that would definitely be a good investment. One other question i'd like to ask, I know there are a few topics on suspension but i'm not really that switched on when it comes to "sag" I am a tall skinny sod (6ft and 10 stone) and prefer a soft rear end but to be honest I don't really know what i'm doing when it comes to adjusting the spring so any help would again be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I have mine set pretty much mid way on the front and rear compression/rebound settings - probably std as the bike comes. I run rear spring quiet soft. Unsrew 2 collars downwards until back end feels as soft as you like it. Unless you need to be doing trick stuff in the car park use the back end for grip as the mont rear suspension on streams and rocks is superb when left to do its job.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep your front tire psi around 7 and the rear about 4 or 5. Soft is good but you don't want your front rim jamming into rocks.

Quick Question: how much extra spring can you get from tightening up the suspension spanner nut on the rear? My hand adjuster makes no difference in softer or harder. I also see a nip for adding nitrogen. Do they lose their nitrogen after time (go too soft), and can it be re-filled?