300 Pro

enduro gasser

I'm new to trials, but have lots of experience in Enduro's and have a gas gas ec 300, after spending a bit of time on my mates yr 2000 txt 280 edition I fancy getting a bike of my own to play on and to do a few trials on when I'm not doing the enduro's. I have seen a 04 300 pro for sale in the tmx local to me. What I want to know, will it be too much of a bike for me and pull my arms off or are they more like a tractor with smoooth power low down? would you guys recommend me buying one or waiting for a 250? Any help would be much appreicated.

Oh here's me on the Enduro bike :huh::banana:

Many thanks Rob

Edited by ENDURO GASSER

What I want to know, will it be too much of a bike for me and pull my arms off or are they more like a tractor with smoooth power low down? would you guys recommend me buying one or waiting  for a 250?

I have been doing enduro for some years, lately I have had a GasGas EC250 (2004). I bought a new GasGas TXT280Pro this year. The power is quit easy to control; it has a lot of low bottom power and revs very nicely. I have had no problems with "long arms".

I don

Edited by Thomas

Enduro, I agree that you should have no problem on the 300. Compared to your EC it will feel like a pussycat. Yes, it has big torque, but very smooth delivery and is in fact the preferred model by most "clubman" type riders over here for that smooth torquey power. The 250 is also very nice, with less torque right on the bottom, but still very smooth. Strangely, it seems the 280 is the most aggressive of them all, much like the 250 in the EC line. Don't overlook the 200 either as it's a really sweet little bike if your not too heavy.

I have a 04 280 Pro and an 04 300 Raga. The 300 is smoother than the 280 when set up properly. They both are terrific bikes but the 300 has an edge on hills and slippery conditions when ridden properly. I have never tried a 250 Pro but my 250 Beta was a real easy bike to ride. I would go for the 300, spend some time jetting it properly and run a stock 04 ignition curve. Very smooth, controllable power that says BOLD all the way to the finish gate!

The 250 is also very nice, with less torque right on the bottom, but still very smooth.  Strangely, it seems the 280 is the most aggressive of them all, much like the 250 in the EC line.

I don't agree with the term aggressive for the 280 Pro. I only know the 2005 model, and that has a very predictabel torque at all rpms.

When it comes to the enduro, the 300EC has more low bottom torque than the 250EC, but at higher rpms it is harder to kontrol the 300EC than the 250EC. It is not with out reason that the 250 has won WM quit a few times.

With the trial bike in question we are talking aboit smaller difference. As a new driver you probably wont notice the differences. I started driving trial in 1986 on a Montesa 349 (from 1979) and I had great fun with the bike. What I am trying to say is that you can have great fun on all those bikes :huh:

Edited by Thomas

A lot depends on what type of terrain you ride, a 300 is good for the bottom end grunt ie. mud, streams, anything slippy!

280's grip well to but are a bit more suited to big steps or sections where you need sudden power coz they got loads of top end!! Bit more 'revy'! :huh:

I had a 280 last year an really liked it and this year went to a 300, but I put a Kiehin Carb on it and its a completely different bike!! It's more like a slightly softer 280 now.

The 300 has been dead reliable too, its been out every weekend at least since i got it and also done some of the Novogar rounds (road trials) on it and it still runs as smooth as the day i got it!! No rattles or anything. Plus, they sound awesome :banana:

Get a 300!!

ROB,

If I had the money and the inclination to start trials today, I would buy the 300 if nothing else than my weight, if I was skinnier, I would want to get the smaller engine, that is MY OPINION, hope that helps... BUT the difference between 250-280-&-300 are soo small, only noticable in some circumstances really.

but, lets look at trials and enduro differences... In trials HP/engine size means Squat, literally...

you will have your ass handed to you by a 100lb 13 year old on an 80cc bike, long before you "need" or appreciate the 300 (say over the 250 version) IMHO.

All that you have with the 300 and a lighter weight rider, is a bike that may not "forgive" an error, unlike a lower, or maybe less-powered rig. Trials is about control, not HP or speed and it takes a mentality much like golf. you dont have to hit the ball that far, if you hit it right were you wanted it in the 1st place (like the fairway or the green).

Thanks for that guys... Never did get to go and have a look at the 300, About to move house in a month and the missus has put her foot down and said I've got one bike already and she hasnt even got an oven for the new house..... So gotta buy one of them first. :banana:

So my new question is do I buy a Gas oven or Electric.......!!!! Only joking :huh:

So My mates kindly letting me carry on borrowing his 2000 txt 280 which is a bit scruffy to look at but is mechanically sound so I cant complain really.....Maybe better waiting till the 06's are out, the second hand market should have some better offers then03-04's

I don't agree with the term aggressive for the 280 Pro. I only know the 2005 model, and that has a very predictabel torque at all rpms.

You are very correct Thomas, the 280 is indeed very smooth and predictable. The term "more aggressive" is relative to the 250 and 300 models, although the differences are very small between all of them. Also the 280 has become more mellow with each model year.

JTT is right, because the 280's have a reputation for being fierce everyone favours the 300. i've had a 250, 280 and 300 and this years 280 is the best bike i've eve had.

Silver looks average anyway. get a 280 m8 :huh: