Loading Bikes Through A Narrow Camper Door?

razorback

I don't have a nice toy hauler but I've got a 5th wheel camper with a standard side door. Been thinking of removing some furniture and loading up a gas gas pro inside for multi-day trips.

Does anyone load bikes in the side door of a trailer and have any tips, suggestions or warnings they can share?

Here is what I have:

camper.jpg

I've got a bike carrier for the front of the truck plus I can pull a trailer behind as well if needed. I like the idea of being able to leave the bike inside when traveling or if I need to make a run to town for something in the truck. Pull the shades down and what's inside is out of site, out of mind.

Taking the bars off was the way I was thinking as well and securing it won't be a problem.

Is removing bars a common practice for some forms of transport? Like a really small van?

I can appreciate the out of site mentality, but I think it would get old fast and would rather invest time upfront for a better solution - like a good bike rack, cover and lock setup for the back. If you do put it in the trailer - I recommend making sure you turn off your pilot light for your stove/heater whenever you put the bike inside and then venting the trailer with a fan before relighting.

Why not make up something with a castor wheel on that can be bolted in in place of your from wheel, then you can turn the bars / mudguard any angle to push it in. A friend of mine has just made one for getting a 600cc Honda road bike into a Bedford? camper van. That was more to do with height of the fairing, height of doors and angle of loading ramp than door width. His has 2 castors with 150mm wheels about 400mm apart.

Cheers

That sounds like a great idea but that door looks narrow,bars off and pegs up to turn it (90degrees)as soon as you get in?

Although you could always rack it on the roof if you remember to use a suitable kicker to get it up there? :)

The other post may be right about venting ,it could stink the place out.

Edited by ham2

The smell and pilot light comments are good. I had thought about the pilot light but the gas smell could be an issue. I remember visiting a friend of a friend a few years ago that built an apartment above his working garage and the apartment always smelt like the garage. So it might make the camper unfit for sleeping. Appreciate that tip.

The kicker thing and using the top as a place to keep the bike is too funny. I saw the video where the moron strapped his honda to the roof of his car and it fell off but was dragged behind for a while. Haha. No thanks!

The caster wheels is really a great idea for doing it by myself. I have a set of queen sized bunk beds in my cabin that I needed to move. I made 4, 8" square dollies, with 3 casters each and moved the entire thing with ease. Brilliant!

I'll continue using my front hitch rack and think about this some more. It's not sounding like such a workable solution right now but I'm not completely against the idea yet.