Sherco 2006 Shock

shercoben12

Hi all

My rear Shock has unscrewed itself from a bowl at the bottom of the shock and theres no thread left so doesn't grip on. So when I lift the bike of the ground the back wheel stays on the ground. I could weld it but that would be a last resort.

I have found a 2003 250 shock in good condition would this just swap straight over. If not is there any way of securing the shock back in to the bowl at the bottom. Just to make it clearer it is the bottom of the shock where the bolt goes through the shock to secure it.

Sorry for the explanation . I am only 12 and am useless whith shocks/suspension.

Thanks Ben

Is there any thread left on the shaft, had a gas gas shock do exactly what you're describing years ago & had a helicoil fitted to the shock eye(mount) which fixed the problem. Worth showing a bike shop or engineering firm the shock & getting their opinion, you won't need to take the spring with you

• Like 1

Hi Ben

Which part has come unscrewed, the end eye from the shaft or the end eye from the damper body?

If it's just unscrewed from the shaft and the shaft hasn't got too damaged you may be able to rescue it with a helicoil, if your not happy doing this yourself or you don't have the tools we can do it for you.

If it's come off the body you will have lost all the nitrogen charge and you won't be able to repair it yourself but we can get it repaired for you.

http://www.splatshop.co.uk/rear-shock-rebuild.html

Hi Ben

In that case you will the shock rebuilding as it will have lost all the gas pressure, it will probably need some new parts so I'd need to look at the shock before giving you a price.

With regards to which way around the shock should be mounted, most of the shocks it is better to mount them the other way around so you don't get mud and stones off the back wheel going on to the chrome shaft as this is a sealing surface and the dirt can wear the chrome away. But on a few of the Olle shocks (around 2006/7) the end eye piece (with the damping adjuster screw in it) was too large and it would hit the frame if it was mounted the other way around so they had to be mounted as shown in the picture above, if you've got one of these shocks I'd recommend making some kind of mud flap to stop to stick to the air box that will stop any muck going on the rear shock.

Oh the 2010/11 bikes can't have the shock inverted either as the spring gets in the way of the petrol tank.

Regards

Chris

Yea, may take too much to fix the '06 shock, which had issues anyway. Possibly not reccomendable to pursue this repair.

Anyway, back to his original question, will the "03 shock fit? As I recall the things were about 10mm shorter eye to eye. Cannot recall if Olle or Sachs, but as stated above may have to flip it due to clearance issues.

I hate putting good money into rebuilding a POS, as you then have a re-built POS!

I think the problem with the 2006 shock was probably to do with the thread been to coarse a pitch for the end eye to stay tight, the newer shocks have a finer thread and don't have the same problem. The guy who repaires shock absorbers for us sometimes uses a Ohlins body when a shock has come apart like this so the repaired shock is probably better than new and still alot cheaper than buying a new shock so it is still worth repairing.

With regard to the 2003 shock yes it is shorter than the 2006 onwards shocks, the 2006 to 2013 shocks are 266mm long eye to eye, the older shocks are about 258mm long eye to eye.