Testing The Fan On A 2011 Pro 50

smallboy

Short the terminals of the thermo switch together. Fan should come on right away with bike running.

If you want to verify the functionality of the Thermo Switch. You need to remove it from the bike and test it in hot boiling water. Should be open when cold and closed (shorted) when hot.

FWIW: In normal operation, when the switch senses hot coolant, it closes (short across leads)and connects AC power to the 12v DC converter/rectifier that in turn powers the 12Vdc fan.

Edited by laser1

If you want to verify the functionality of the Thermo Switch. You need to remove it from the bike and test it in hot boiling water. Should be open when cold and closed (shorted) when hot.

Just had one that tested perfectly well using this method but still allowed the bike to overheat - new thermostat worked perfectly so I can only assume the dodgy thermo had self adjusted its parameters to a higher temp?

In other words this test only works if you know the temperature that it should close at and you use a thermometer to verify this?

GJ :wacko:

Yes, thermoswitches can change their cut on temp over time. Particulalry if they get overheated. When I test I hook up the wires to a meter, put in a pan of water witha cooking thermmeter and bring the water to a boil. You can tell very easily if it is turning on a a good temp.