Air Filter Maintenance

r_jane

Hi,

So i bought my first trials bike the other day from Triple D in Kendal, (would HIGHLY reccomend, very helpful) and im just wondering what cleaner/oils you use for your air filters?

I have a Scorpa 250 and could do with some advice on maintaing the air filter do you have a specific routines??

Thanks alot

Hi, you can't really have a maintenance interval on an air filter dueto wet or dry conditions etc and for the most part air filter oils are pretty similar

Just make sure you use a genuine air filter oil and not a motor oil

To clean it you want to use high flash point solvent, not gas, the last thing you want is your air filter catching fire

Get yourself a spare filter, clean and oil it and keep it in a ziplock baggy

That way you have a filter waiting and you don't have to mess with cleaning one until you have time

Air filter and airbox cleaning is pretty important on the Sy as they can be a b#*+h to get the carb off without stripping half the bike, i always make sure mine is immaculate i clean out the airbox when i do the carb, the filter gets washed with Fairy liquid and re-oiled with Pj1 spray, if i pressure wash the bike i always remove the mudguard in pop a rag or kitchen roll in the top of the filter to stop water getting in and dragging muck into the airbox.

maybe im a bit anal but anyone who the had to clean an SY carb in the middle of nowhere will understand.

The only other thing i do is spray Duck oil on the thing and swap the oil every now and then.

Great bikes, i was very sad when i sold my 08 as it was the best bike i have ever had.

Edited by godzilla

I use NoToil air filter oil, this stuff works very good and I can wash out the filter using any good soap and water, dish washing soap works nice. You just have to wait a night or day after cleaning until the foam has dryed out. (As cleaning the filter is the worst thing while maintain the air filter I started with this "feature")

It is very easy to handle, pure some of the oil (very thin oil) on the filter put the filter in a plastic bag, (these plastic freeser bags works fine), then squeeze the foam until every part of it got covered with this oil. Take the foam out of the plastic bag when applied and let the solvent of the filter oil evaporate, takes half an hour leaving a very sticky covering. Then you can install the filter or put it back in the plastic bag for later use.

I have always a spare filter which is oiled so replacing a filter when riding in dusty conditions is done quickly.

Edited by pschrauber

My advice would be try to keep dirt away from the filter in the first place.

Gaffer tape between the silencer and airbox, also airbox/mudguard.

Make sure the subframe/airbox is siliconed at the edges.

Also I put a thin layer of sponge foamround the top of the airbox/subframe to prevent any splashes dropping in the filter.

If it,s really wet I'd also gaffer tape the edge of the mudguard to the subframe though it looks pants.

Godzila is spot on with his advice,the Sy is a great bike but any carb maintenance is tricky.

Also if you've just bought it drain the tank completely and start with fresh fuel.

Like the others have said, keeping crud out with a 'pre filter' of large open cell foam is a good idea. I always use chainsaw bar oil on foam and K+N cotton filters on my race bikes. It's very cheap, very tacky, and as good as the pukka filter oil (I've tested this by using two filters on a Dyno - so it's not opinion) Use it very sparingly :thumbup: