Experiences With New-To-Me Txt 50 Boy

d2w

Hello,

This is my first post to this forum after purchasing a 2006 Gas Gas TXT 50 Boy for my 7-year old son Evan. The Boy was exactly what I was looking for in terms of a motorcycle after Evan outgrew his OSET 36V. We live in central B.C. Canada and can literally ride into the hills from our garage. :) I recreationally ride a Gas Gas EC300 Enduro, but I prefer to follow Evan while riding my mountain bike. I have no experience with trials but the elegance has always fascinated me. There appears to be a fairly healthy and active trials community based here in the Okanagan under the guidance of Dave Rhodes, and in B.C. in general.

I love to 'tinker' with bikes and thought I would make others aware of some very basic changes I've made to the Boy, as well as ask some questions and make some comments.

1) I extended the crankcase breather hose and rerouted it from the skid plate to the headstay; having the hose low down increases the likelihood that water will be sucked into the crank. The original oil appeared milky (as if mixed with water) and I'm hoping that was the source of the water rather than a compromised water-pump seal.

2) I'm going to 'offer up' a Duro 3.00x14 rear tire. This is a slightly more aggressive 'knobby-like' tire than the Vee Rubber 2.75x14 which is currently fitted. In the Okanagan the terrain is loose rock and sand, and I'm hoping that the Duro will hook-up better. The Gas Gas site indicates that 2012 Boys are fitted with a Michelin 3.00x14 Trials, but Michelin USA is completely unaware of this tire. Is that tire available in Europe?

3) I fitted an in-line fuel filter.

4) What is the capacity of the fuel tank? All the doc and Google searches I try come up with 0.79 (US) gallons (or 3 litres) but for the life of me I can only get 2 litres into the tank.

5) I fitted some Acerbis Uniko ATV handguards on the bike. These handguards are brilliant in that they mount on only the bar ends and work with the narrower bars of the Boy (i.e., there is no inner mount). The guards greatly protect Evan from brush and save the bars, grips, and levers when he inevitably drops the bike.

6) I managed to track down a 70cc upgrade kit from Hebo (HR4000121N) at SIP in Germany. Hebo no longer makes hardware and has sold the stock (and tooling) to some other company. I have yet to install the kit but the quality appears very high and is very complete (with all O-rings, etc) included.

7) As per other posts, I modified the airbox (by removing the restrictor and opening the lid). This leaned the mixture and the plug is now a perfect chocolate.

8) I'm frustrated that there appears to be no Service/Shop Manual for this bike; I would dearly love to have a list of recommended torque values for the various fasteners. My solution is to mark bolts, back them off, and then use my torque wrench to get the bolts back into position and note the setting. I also use Blue Loctite.

9) I was successful in purchasing from Rising Sun Imports in the USA a printout of the TXT 50 parts fiche; this document has 'exploded views' of the bike components and the Gas Gas part numbers.

I'm very happy with the bike and its quality of build and state of repair. And best of all Evan loves the bike too!

Dale

Hi There, You mention the 70cc kit in your post. I Have found the website but was not sure exactly which is the right one as the gas gas 50 engine changed after 05. I would be after an older one the same as yours.

Have you fitted it yet? and if so what jets suit it or neddle position?

I am only curious as a cheaper replacement in the event of a failure as the standardd 50cc has more than enough for my Son riding trials but I could restrict the 70cc to make it less revy but still have more torque so it should make it easier and smoother to control.

Many thanks for the info in your post.