Montesa 247 Project/advice

robbo27

Just thought I'd update the topic again, I've been out on the Mont twice now and its seems to be running pretty well. I fitted the 48 tooth rear sprocket and it made it much better, but still maybe a little too fast so I might also fit the 9tooth front and see how it goes.

I've also noticed that when its nice and warmed up the tickover is high and if you give it a bit of a rev it will keep on revving, do you guys have any idea what the cause could be? There was a slight kink in the throttle cable but the throttle is definitely returning to the stop. I wondered if it might be the carb worn or getting air in somewhere?

The other thing I have noticed is that when I'm trying to do a tightish turn the front just seems to want to go straight as though the front brake is slightly on, we set a section out on slippery grass and it just would not turn no matter how slow you went.

The only other problems are rider related I think, haha! It certainly is different than riding a modern bike and I have a new found respect for the guys that ride twinshocks and pre-65!

Edited by robbo27

Twinshocks require correct technique to turn tightish. They respond very well to being leaned over, and the outside peg carrying the riders weight. It is easy to tell if the brake is really dragging or not. Turning tight will be much easier if you can get it to run well at low RPM. Until you can get it running right, use the rear brake to maintain bike speed in tight turns (with the clutch driving ie rear brake vs engine)

Yes it sound like an air leak. Most common sites on a 247 are the crank seals and between the carby and barrel, and if you have an AMAL carby, yes the slide and body are commonly worn out

Robbo - Glad to hear it's going well.

My amal was drawing air in so replaced it with a 26mm Mikuni and adapter (Barrel to carb) - made it a differant bike - But not cheap , The guys at in motion can supply.

As for the front brake mine's a nightmare - I tie a piece of old innertube under the bottom of the fork leg from the front brake plate securing bolt and onto the lever - Just helps the spring pull the lever back- Not pretty but it works for me!!!

Keep up the good work - think I'm going to try electronic ignition next !!

Cheers

The Wobbler

Twinshocks require correct technique to turn tightish. They respond very well to being leaned over, and the outside peg carrying the riders weight. It is easy to tell if the brake is really dragging or not. Turning tight will be much easier if you can get it to run well at low RPM. Until you can get it running right, use the rear brake to maintain bike speed in tight turns (with the clutch driving ie rear brake vs engine)

Yes it sound like an air leak. Most common sites on a 247 are the crank seals and between the carby and barrel, and if you have an AMAL carby, yes the slide and body are commonly worn out

Thanks for the advice, I did find as the ride went on I was trying to put my weight on the outside peg and it did make a good difference. So think it may be rider related!! I just need to remember they ride different than a modern bike, haha!

I'll try and investigate the air leak this week hopefully it will be a simple fix.

Robbo - Glad to hear it's going well.

My amal was drawing air in so replaced it with a 26mm Mikuni and adapter (Barrel to carb) - made it a differant bike - But not cheap , The guys at in motion can supply.

As for the front brake mine's a nightmare - I tie a piece of old innertube under the bottom of the fork leg from the front brake plate securing bolt and onto the lever - Just helps the spring pull the lever back- Not pretty but it works for me!!!

Keep up the good work - think I'm going to try electronic ignition next !!

Cheers

The Wobbler

I have seen the Mikuni and have been tempted, but was reluctant to spend the cash before riding a few twinshock events. If it is definitely the carb then I might look into getting one.

Electronic ignition would be nice, I would be interested to see how you go on with it.

Also why I think about it, I have read that a guy on here put Kawasaki MX footrests on his 247. I'm urgently wanting to get rid of the horrible standard foot rests and have seen these on ebay and wondered if anybody had experience of fitting the Kawasaki ones?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f257957b6

Edited by robbo27

A friend of mine who did the "Sumpguard" mod on mine moved my pegs back and down and put modern hangers on !!! The picture might help you.

Next ride out for me is the highland classic - Got some Rockshocks coming so we'll see how it goes !!

post-1071-0-28635600-1369398112_thumb.jpg