Fork Spring Removal

wardo

Hello,

When I bought my bike used the seller commented that he had put one stiffer spring in, and gave me the stocker. After riding the bike a bit I've decided I need to put the stocker back in. After pulling the caps and mic'ing the springs it looks like the right one needs to be swapped. What is the easiest way to remove the spring from the cartridge rod? There seems to be too much preload to push it down and get a wrench on the rod holder... so do I remove the whole cartridge from the bottom? The gasgas.com shop and parts manuals don't seem to be working. It would be nice to have an exploded view. What do other people do?

Thanks,

Wardo

Right here goes from memory!!! Once you have unscrewed the big nut on the top of the fork leg you can slide down the inner fork leg you can then see a piece of plastic tube and below this the spring.

Now you will need to make a large washer woth a 10 mm slot in it, you can then pull down the plastic tube and spring and slide the slotted washer in below the locknut on the cartridge spindle.

The big nut on the top of the fork leg can then be removed, push down on the spring again pul out the washer and the spring can be removed.

Hope this makes sense but pictures would be better!!!

IKB,

Excellent description, the idea had crossed my mind but I figured I should ask first. I'll fabricate something tomorrow and change the spring. The one challenge is going to be getting the plastic far enough down. The spring is pretty stiff so it looks like I'll actually need to enlist some help.

Thanks,

Wardo