1999 Txt 249 Clutch Problem

kawarex

Further woes!!!!! I drained the oil and have to remeber when i laid this bike up in 2000 i had fitted a slightly longer pushrod to the bike to try to cure the clutch issue then after someone told me the Gasser's suffered with the pushrods wearing and needed to be slightly longer so i made one and did this but never tried it after that. When i took the clutch cover of i found the last clutch plate had come off the basket so this is what has caused the clutch not too disengage, excellent i thought so i made the pushrod to exactly 140mmm ( IS THIS THE CORRECT LENGTH ?? ) and put it back together dry with the cover off but the lever was stiff and then pulled a stud out of the threads at the slave cylinder !!!!! GGGRRRRR !!! so i repaired it with a helicoil and put it together but the lever hardly moves at the bars and you can actually see the slave cylinder flexing if you try to pull the lever !!! Is the center bit off the bearing behind the clutch slave cylinder supposed to move ?? I don't know, any help or ideas would be greatly recieved as i am getting very peed off with this now as i can only fit time in between work and family commitments and need to sell it soon so i can pay for my offshore survival course

hi kawarex, it sounds like the 5mm ball bearing has fallen out of the clutch shaft tube causing the slave cylinder piston to touch the engine casing when you pull the lever. if you remove the slave cylinder push the piston fully in (you may have to remove the reservoir cover to release pressure), then remove the clutch shaft and tilt bike over slightly watching if the ball bearing rolls out. hope this helps. ps, i could measure my clutch shaft if reqd

I think it is a safe bet that the replacement rod is too long. If you can see the slave cylinder bulging and the pressure plate being pushed past the basket it is clearly getting way too much pressure. An over-long shaft would do exactly that. The fact that it pulled out a thread just shows how much pressure the hydraulic system is capable of.

If you still have the original push rod put it back in. I put a dial gage on my '94 JT250 pressure plate and it only moves about .030 inches from full clutch to non clutch. I think your '99 should have about the same travel.

60North makes a good point about the pivot ball. Mine had some flat spots from wear so I replaced it.

The best thing I have found to reduce clutch drag is clean fluid! Amazing what a difference that makes.

Further woes!!!!! I drained the oil and have to remeber when i laid this bike up in 2000 i had fitted a slightly longer pushrod to the bike to try to cure the clutch issue then after someone told me the Gasser's suffered with the pushrods wearing and needed to be slightly longer so i made one and did this but never tried it after that. When i took the clutch cover of i found the last clutch plate had come off the basket so this is what has caused the clutch not too disengage, excellent i thought so i made the pushrod to exactly 140mmm ( IS THIS THE CORRECT LENGTH ?? ) and put it back together dry with the cover off but the lever was stiff and then pulled a stud out of the threads at the slave cylinder !!!!! GGGRRRRR !!! so i repaired it with a helicoil and put it together but the lever hardly moves at the bars and you can actually see the slave cylinder flexing if you try to pull the lever !!! Is the center bit off the bearing behind the clutch slave cylinder supposed to move ?? I don't know, any help or ideas would be greatly recieved as i am getting very peed off with this now as i can only fit time in between work and family commitments and need to sell it soon so i can pay for my offshore survival course

Cheers guys i found the ball had fallen out and tried this back in late yesterday afternoon but still no better and ran out of time as i had to go to work on twelve hour nights. I finish after tonight then have my daughter to look after for a couple of days so will report back in a few days with the next bit off the saga. Can you attach photos to these threads ?? If so do i use photobucket ?? Cheers again dudes.

Photo bucket, google, flickr, there are litterally hundreds, many with "free account usage" up to some size limit. Flickr come free with AT&T/SBC DSL... they should all be fine, and have the same steps, you upload your picture, make them public, then you just need the "link" to the picture.