Txt Pro Brand New Clutch Slipping

arnottben

Hi folks,

I have a 2004 TXT pro 280, I bought it fairly cheap and have been slowly fixing all the niggles it had. The clutch was dragging badly and slipping so I tried all the usual things...in the end I replaced the clutch pack, the clutch slave and master cylinder seals, the water pump seals (to rule out coolant contamination) and put it all back together with ATF type F oil. Took it out for it's first ride today and noticed I couldn't get up a steep hill that my friends were, and eventually realised the clutch was slipping under heavy load. The lever is set so it has free play at the end, i.e. the piston returning fully so it's not that that's the problem. One thing I did notice that was different about the new clutch pack is that when I assembled it in to the basket, the forks had no play in them, i.e. were stuck in position. Obviously they could be pushed in, simulating the clutch action. On the previous assembly the forks rattled about. This makes me think the clutch spring is not compressing the plates together enough in it's closed position and therefore slipping. I asked for the new pack to be factory thickness (9.75mm as i recall) and I, stupidly, didn't measure this to double check it actually was this size. I'm going to strip it this weekend, any ideas to help me along?

Cheers

Ben

One thing to try - remove the clutch - measure the fiber plates. If there is a thick one - make sure that one goes in 1st. The clutch basket has a relief machined into the bottom - the thin plates (In some clutch paks - can depend) are not thick enough to rise up and couple against the next steel - so you effectively only have 2 fibers working. Come to think of it, The finger height would be low in that case as well. Lever pull would be pretty easy too.