Tlr250

matt h

Hello from New Zealand,finaly a site with the TLR being talked about! I've been using a TLR200 in our Twinshock class for 3 years,I really like it,but there are some ''issues'' with the 4 stroke motor! But I'm learning to take a more aggressive aproach and keep that throttle open as much as possible.

I've ridden a TLR250,and power and gearing problems are solved,a nice bike to ride.The 250 uses different ratios and has a different sprocket spline....I hear talk of a 9 tooth sprocket,is this available for the 200,and if so where? The TLR200 was popular here,and quite a few turn up sometimes,and there is the odd 250 as well,I'll see if I can post an image here,a TLR250,and the one behind is a factory job with alloy tank and seat.

I am also wondering what the steering head angle is for the TLR200?

post-1871-1132260439.jpg

HI MOTU A company in the uk called talon engineering ltd will supply you with a 9 tooth gearbox sprocket.Most folk run 9/44 and that seems ok, splines are the same 200/250 as they use the same bottom end. Looks like a cracking pair of bars on that 250 you showed us!!! What is the trials scene like down there in the land of the long white cloud? Cheers :rolleyes:

I've looked in sprocket books,but it appears the 250 has finer splines - I'll give these Talon dudes a go.I'm running 11/50,I reckon 9/44 sounds just right - it's still too tall to use 2nd,I can only use 2nd in the longest sections,hill climbs and mud.I rode that 250,it certainly wasn't set up well,for me atleast - but it could do a downhill 180 and back up a bank in 2nd no worries,my 200 would make a mess of that no matter what gear I used.

I don't follow the modern scene,but I don't think it's as strong as it used to be - bikes are just so expensive,and the skills so much more advanced,that some average rider can't just pick up a bike and have a go like they used to 20 yrs ago.We can still turn out some pretty good riders though.It hasn't been a good year for the Classic and Twinshock guys,kinda in disaray,but we get 20 to 30 bikes at a meeting,nice and low key,as it should be.Our last trial of the year is this sunday,I'll have to ride with no front guard - $150 and it only lasted 3 yrs,I'll come back with a new plan.

A couple of shots of my TLR200,in trials setting.

post-1871-1132395850.jpg

Nice bike but the acerbis handguards dont look to good on it ;)

James

I meant to say ages ago...

The reason for the handguards should be obvious (but then again I'm not a victim of fashion) but just in case you missed the point - here goes. Ride between sections offroad or on road for that matter. What happens if you go down and low side? I did. Black ice. No warning. If you don't have a wrap round guard the bar end may dig into the tarmac or dirt and there is a good chance - as that lovely alloy bar end digs in - that you and the bike get flipped and ouch. In a low side like that the guard allows you to slide the bar end (due to the guard) and usually not dig and flip. The added benefit is I still have a working throttle or brake or clutch lever after it and my knuckles!! Dodging between tress and bushes also keeps my ageing fist in tact....