Tlr250

matt h

Hi from Australia. Great website! How many Tlr250s were made and where in the world did they end up? There are some in Aus & NZ. My engine no.ME07E5000662. Honda Aus are no help.

post-24-1115631290.jpg

• Like 1

Havn't seen many around, but there is one that rides in NHMC has just been rebuilt over the period of a few years I think. I used to have a TLM 50, the baby brother. Would give anything to have a 250. Sherco,car, everything!

Sorry, this is more a post of admiration than help i'm afraid.

Just want to drool a little bit more. . .

But which TLR:)

The TLR250R - G was introduced in 1986 as a trail tourer for the Japanese market.

The 2 previous models were the TLR200 and the TLR250 - F. I believe there is also a later H model in 1987.

The specs for the TLR250R - G are as follows:

Length 2030mm

Width 820mm

Height 1110mm

Wheel base 1335mm

Weight 93kg

Air cooled 4 stroke single cylinder 244cc Bore and stroke 72.0 x 60.0mm

Compression ratio 8.5

Max power 14.0 ps/5500rpm

Max torque 2.00 kg - m/2500rpm

Kick start

6 speed

Front telescopic suspension

Rear Pro - link suspension

Front tyre 2.75 x 21

Rear tyre 4.00 x 18

TLR250R - G (MD18) Service Spec.

Valve timing Intake Open TDC 0 degree at 1mm lift

Close ABDC 30 degree at 1mm lift

Exhaust Open BBDC 35 degree at 1mm lift

Close TDC 0 degree at 1mm lift

Compression ratio 8.5

Compression 12.0 kg/cm2 at 400 rpm

Max power 14 PS at 5500 rpm

Max torque 2.0 kg

post-24-1115659898.jpg

TLR250R is a Japanese market trail bike, and not I think what the op was interested in.

The TLR250 was a purpose built twin-shock trials machine, which was based on the earlier TLR200, having many parts in common with the smaller bike.

As the TLR250 was introduced very close to the time the TY250 Yamaha appeared I wouldnt imagine the production run was very long, as around the time the Yam came out, all twin-shock machines basically became obsolete overnight!

Thanks for the history lesson Grannie:) Aye...Ridden RTL's, Yam's etc. Only had 47 bikes but hey..still it is a TLR and the Aussie didn't spec his use. The TLR R makes a good LDT bike. Bit of work and it would be fine for closed to club fun.

It has a 11/40 sprocket setup which I had felt was a bit high. Will try to locate a 9. None of these bikes were sold in the US apparently. I remember when those Yamahas came out and nailed everything, so that adds up.

When you fit the 9T gearbox sprocket, you will need to secure it with a circlip, and get hold of a spacing washer to take up the gap left by the std Honda mounting plate.

To save confusion HondaRS picked me up on this when I mentioned the same for a TLR200

You should find that the TLR250 has a circlip holding the front sprocket in place as standard, its the TLR200 which uses a mounting plate.

The only drawbacks of a 9tooth sprocket is increased chain wear & low top speed.

If those are original Honda mudguards I would suggest that you take them off and store them carefully then buy a cheap universal set to use on the bike. Original Honda guards are like hens teeth and are now fetching silly money so replace the original ones rather than snapthem if you intend to trial the bike.

Well done Panomphaean in posting the details of the other TLR model - its the sort of information that will be usefull to many people.

Gordon

Edited by g4321
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...