Sherco Oil Dark Grey

tadger

Hmmm...... my sherco 290 (05) had really awful dark grey oil when I bought it, so gave it an oil change. Ran it for an hour or two then got clutch creep. Then the clutch packed in. Changed the oil (still very dark grey) as clutch plates had stuck. Hey presto clutch now fine. After a further 2-3 hours, decided on oil change as an extra flush, but still very dark grey - almost black.

Do I persist with the oil changes until the oil remains clear(ish) or do I need to flush out (with what) or have I got a problem?

Coolant level is fine, so no evidence of water getting in.

RSVP...

Hi

Normaly grey oil is the result of general wearing of the clutch components, particularly the clutch basket fingers where these components are made from aluminium..

Its normal for this to occur after a number of hours running, so the question is... how much running were you doing between these oil changes?

Other thoughts:-

• When you say the cluch packed in, this normaly means it is slipping. I've a feeling that you meant that it wouldnt disengage (stuck). If so, this is common if a bike has been left standing some time. Putting the bike in 3rd gear and rocking it back and forth with the clutch in normally frees it off. Again, not an unusual or particularly serious problem.
  • If the oil hadnt been changed for a long long time, aluminium particles can saturate the oil and even settle out at the bottom of the gearbox. These "settled patches" then become resuspended into the new oil, this may be what you are seeing.
  • Heavy use, a grabby and sticking clutch can be signs of notched clutch basket fingers. This is easily seen with the clutch cover off. If your a cheapskate like me, you carefully file the notches flat (it takes some skill / care to do this properly).

So dont panic, other than spending more than you bargained for on oil, this may not be a significant problem at all.

Dom

Thanks all.... will just keep with regular oil changes and see what happens. Clutch works fine now after an oil change. Suspect it was because previous owner had left it for a year untouched. I'll run it for a few hours then give it another change.

Thanks for the advice.......