Montesa Mh 123 Conical Hub - Two Pieces ?

gazzaecowarrior

Hi there

I'm just about to send my front wheel off for a re-spoking. I was just wondering if the front hub is in two pieces or one ? The non brake side which has the longer spokes appears to be made of steel and the rest seems to be alloy. Is this the case ? If so and the wheel was de-spoked would the two parts seperate easily? The only reason I ask is because the steel part is rusty and the alloy side is immacualte. I was going to have the whole hub powder coated but if it comes into two parts I would just send off the steel bit as it would save me having to remove the bearings on the alloy side as they are brand new.

Regards

Gareth

Edited by gazzaecowarrior

Hi there Gareth,

Your MH123 conical front hub's small spoke flange is made of steel and held on with three nuts. After removing the nuts there should be a plain flange followed by the spoke flange. Both flanges can be removed for painting.

Hope this helps.

Hi there Gareth,

Your MH123 conical front hub's small spoke flange is made of steel and held on with three nuts. After removing the nuts there should be a plain flange followed by the spoke flange. Both flanges can be removed for painting.

Hope this helps.

That helps a lot. Many thanks. Is the non spoked flange the part that the speedo lugs fit into ? I'm amazed it's only those 3 little nuts which hold the hub on.

Gareth

Thanks had it from new (26 years) although neglected it for a few years Im back in the saddle now and loving it.

an

That is a nice story. The Mont 123 I've got was the model of bike I first wanted as a schoolboy. My dad was dead against motorbikes and eventually gave in and got me a ty80. Twenty odd bikes later (and a knee injury meaning no more riding) I decided to get the bike I was never allowed as a kid. It's a well put together little bike. I've got all the original road kit too.