Montesa Mh123 Front Wheel Bearings

gazzaecowarrior

Hi there. Been looking at the wheel bearings in my conical hub. Just wondering on the best way to get them out in case I send the hub off for powder coating. There is a rubber seal on both sides which I have removed. There is then a circlip on one side against a bearing but no circlip on the other side. There looks like there is a spacer between the bearings. Just wondering which would be the best way to tap them out if I do have to take them out. Would one go one way and the other the other way or do they both tap out in the opposite direction of the circlip ?

Regards

Gareth

Hi there Gareth.

The bearings are held apart by a shouldered spacer tube. After removing the circlip the bearings have to be drifted outwards from the opposite side of the hub. Removing the first bearing needs a drift which is a very good fit in the bore of the opposite bearing in order to locate the end of the thin shoulder of the spacer. The end of the spacer is easily damaged.

To make the job easier use a heat gun to warm the bearing housings before removing and refitting the bearings.

Before fitting the new bearings make sure the spacer tube is undamaged, check by seeing if the spacer slides easily on the spindle.

Hope this is of help.

Hi there Gareth.

The bearings are held apart by a shouldered spacer tube. After removing the circlip the bearings have to be drifted outwards from the opposite side of the hub. Removing the first bearing needs a drift which is a very good fit in the bore of the opposite bearing in order to locate the end of the thin shoulder of the spacer. The end of the spacer is easily damaged.

To make the job easier use a heat gun to warm the bearing housings before removing and refitting the bearings.

Before fitting the new bearings make sure the spacer tube is undamaged, check by seeing if the spacer slides easily on the spindle.

Hope this is of help.

Many thanks for that great advice. After reading your other post about the conical hub I'm hoping I can keep the bearings in situ as the hub paint is immaculate and the bearings are brand new. I just need to powder coat the flange. Do you still have a mont then ?