Evo 2013 Overheating

floting

I want to buy an 2013 300 Evo, i like the light feeling of the 2T but i'm affraid that i'll have the same problems with over heating like i have with my current Rev3 with Mikuni carb fully moded ( level, bigger bowl etc.). What is you experince with the Evo models regarding over heating when climbing long hills of going fast on trasition roads?

I'm asking because i hope that the 4T it's not the only answer.

This overheating is not normal - unless you are running lean due to changing the main jet or the float level - we have had no issues with either the Rev 3 or Evo models - However you can fit the Costa high volume water-pump kit which I would recommend for the type of riding you seem to like.

I and dozens of other competitors ran 2T betas including Evos for periods of up to 1 hour full chat (ish... it's best to vary throttle settings or if you're really worried pull the choke lever for a few seconds)) on the road and 6 hours a day trialing in ambient 40 degree c temps last summer;... they get hot yes but overheating as you describe is not normal.. It depends on how you define over heating

Edited by chewy

Thank you for your answers. Maybe now that the temps are around 10-15 C i'm lean, but i was told by others (my experience in trials is limited to this bike) that this is the problem with trials 2T, if you use it full throttle, like when climbing long hills or traveling woods roads, it will overheat. They said you can't jet it to be ok for both slow riding and fast let's say enduro style riding.

Now i have fitted a catch bottle but didn't have the time to test it, but i'm sure it will work because on my enduro bike it works beautiful.

The jetting is 27.5 pilot, stock main, and needle up maximum, still pinging at the top of a hill and if i insist then i can hear the water boiling in the cylinder, the higher the gear the worse is the pinging. The piston top it's almost clean, the exhaust it's clean, the muffler redone, the advance it's adjusted at 2.2mm as recommended.

When cold it has full compression and i must use all my weight to start it, but when it's hot i can start it easier, i don't know if it's normal.

What it's your advice, should i buy i 28PWK Keihin, then i could finally use it as it should be a bike, not overheating when going fast for minutes?

The Rev3 is a fairly high compression engine and really likes racing gas. The pinging is a sign of too low an octane. You may want to lower your compression with an extra cylinder base gasket if you can't get better fuel. I run VP C-12 at 108 octane in both my bikes one with Keihin and the other with a Mikuni and neither of them ping but they will ping if pushed using pump fuel, even with Sunoco 93. Well some batches anyway. I'm never sure of what comes out of the pump to be honest.

If it were me I'd run at 50:1 as well as using the best octane fuel you can find. Make sure it's pukka oil though and not cheap rubbish.

You might want to look at using castrol xr77 or A747 oil if you're getting it that hot and want piece of mind against damage.

You can't seize or burn a bearing out with too much lube? If you get oiling up issues you can always come back to 60:1 (it's what I run my rev3 on).