Newbie And Bought This Montesa Today

bluetoff

Hi everyone. Well today I went and bought this Montesa 247 which apparently is a 1978 model. I was wondering if anyone can confirm this. Just a quick couple of questions. Are the tyres tubeless and why are there 2 spark plugs ( one unused). Might be a daft question, maybe more daft ones to follow. Thanks again.

montesa2.jpg

Edited by bluetoff

Those rims are for tubed tyres

The second plug hole can be used for a decompressor. Some people used them back in the day

It is also possible to use the second hole for a sparkplug suitable for riding on the road. Quick change over of the cap when you go to ride trials again without any tools needed.

and all I can tell from that photo is that it is probably a post-1972 model 247. The tank/seat is pre-76 but that really doesn't say much because it is common for 247s to have the wrong year seat tank fitted. A photo showing the clutch cover and knowing the engine and frame numbers would help with the dating process

What is the silvery looking lump on the front downtube?

Edited by feetupfun

Thanks feetupfun for the quick reply. The engine number is 21M8826. I dont know where to look for the frame number. The silver lump on the frame is tape covering the wiring from the kill switch. I have not removed it yet, it must all join up under there, next weekends job.