Bultaco Sherpa 92 325Cc

jtsdad

Can anybody help. Installed electronic ignition some time ago as bike never has been a good starter from cold. Seemed ok at first however this sunday at canada heights wobblers could not get the bike started. Checked all of the usual. changed plug and checked leads. Spark appear very weak and intermitant. Any thoughts

jts dad

hi

The spark on the electronic ignitions are weak anyway and do not usually give any trouble.

i would suggest the problem may be something else.

if you'r local to canada heights i could have a look at it [stevens trials] i have fitted many of these in the past and worked on quite a few bultaco's.

regards Shavey.

Thanks Shavey,

I think i may have bought some boots and helmet from you a couple of years ago. I might take you up on your offer. Is there any checks i can do with regards to voltage at different parts of the circuit.I bought the ignition from Bultaco UK last year. I would like to solve the problem myself if possible, as you know, old bikes can be a bottom less pit although very satisfying when they work. One thing i did on saturday before going to canada heights was start the bike in readiness for a run out on sunday. After a few kicks, we no joy added a little fuel into the barrel via the spark plug. This started the bike after a coulpe of attempts.

However on Sunday no joy.

Thanks for you interest

Jtsdad

I would also check the ignition if the timing is still adjusted right.

Did the engine run well befor the issue occured, not too fat or too lean?

If lean you might check the crank seals too, it's an old bike and these seals

can get leaky after some years.

Thanks for your all your thoughts, the Bultaco is 1972-73. I will check carb and recheck the timing set up. Unforntunately i dont use the bike much as i give it to my son to use. So its hard to judge any real performance change. Although being Dad I have to pick up the repair costs. Also i ride a Sherco which stops well and starts well unlike the old Bultaco. However like most trials people i dont mind a challenge.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply.

All the best

jtsdad

• 2 months later...