Problem After Fitting Head Spacer?

chris falcon

I have just fitted a head spacer to my TXT 300, did all that I should have, replacing the 2 O-rings and putting gasket goo on the top of the cylinder before adding the spacer.

All went well and I tightened the head bolts gradually and evenly until they were at the required torque, put the bike back together and started the engine,

Then I got an intermittent buzzing noise coming from under the petrol tank? I removed the tank and could find no obvious problem, started the bike again and got the same Buzz buzz sound almost like an alarm?

Any one have a clue what this is?

Chris

Chris

i guess there could be a number of mechanical reasons which require a process of elimination to find.

clearly some of the previously mentioned suggestions are worth investigating. I would start by determining "whats changed" and work through it logically.

Less likely but worth checking is that you havent got a cyl head leak due to compression. I say unlikely because a leak here might also coincide with a cooling system issue.

When this has happened to me it manifested itself as a high pitch squeek, occuring at the same frequency as the engine revs.

• Using the kickstart, turn the engine over slowly but firmly and listen to see if the high pitch noise is related to compression.
  • look around the entire cyl head / spacer / barrel joint for obvious oil residue
  • Check to see if you are losing coolant either at the same joint or from the radiator overflow hose.
  • see if the frequency of the noise coincides with engine revs.

just a thought.

Dom

Many thanks for the reply s guys, the noise does not connect to the engine revs. It is a constant rhythmic buzz - buzz - buzz almost like an alarm? it seems to be coming from the black plastic, sealed unit that is held in place by a thick rubber strap above the radiator.

I find it hard to understand what could have changed to cause this? nothing other than the head was removed and the compression is high as it is still a pig to kick over.

Chris

Mystery now solved, the inner O-ring had slipped when installing the head : (

This of course has damaged the spacer and wrecked the O-ring, oh well lesson learned.

I had smeared the rings with silicon grease to help hold them in place but still!! Just wait for the new spacer and rings to come now and fit without ring slip this time : /

Thanks for the help guys.

Chris

The school of hard knocks teaches us all many lessons. Those inner orings can be tricky. I make sure to check for a uniform gap to the head before torquing down. Best to re-torque the head after a heat cycle of two.

IMO - The best sealant to use on the spacer to head (non-oring interface) is Hylomar universal blue sealant. Just dont use too much and get it inside the cylinder. Great stuff!

I have done the gas gas head O rings a few times and found you have to be careful not to twist the O ring when running your finger over them to insert them.

Think I used gasket sealer in the grooves, sort of put it on then wiped it off, just leaving a smear to act as a glue.

I have an old JTR 320 that is a 350cc and I raised the barrel on thicker base gaskets to lower the compression, it has made it easier to kick over and stopped it pinking. You still have to give it a good hard prod to start it or it will kick you back. I tend to stand up and lower my weight on to it, bit like starting an old 4 stroke.

It doesnt put so much strain on the starter gear either.

TLTEL

Cheers guys, thanks for your input.

The mistake I made is attaching the coolant hose to the top of the head before placing the head back on the cylinder, this made it hard to place the head carefully in position.

The stupid thing is I thought at the time " I wonder if those O-rings have moved?", but did not check and got kicked for it.

I put the bike back together today without the spacer and its running perfect again, I have a new spacer coming and will fit that next week some time.

I use the Blue Hylomar on the top of the Cylinder and it was perfect, just an even smear worked great.

Chris