Newcomer In Milton Keynes Area - Bike Advice Needed

tyrefryer

Hi all,

I'm in the Milton Keynes area and am looking to get back into trials riding after a break for over 20 years! I used to be a member of the Milton Buzzard club when they had their practice ground at Elfield Park and I owned a couple of Sherpas. I sold my last Sherpa when I started racing my Rudge in the VMCC but now I'm 50, I thought it would be a great way to keep fit!?!

I popped along to the new Milton Buzzard ground last Sunday and it looks great, all I need to do know is pay my subs and find a bike. This is where I'd be really grateful of some advice.

I've been looking at Sherco 290s (I guess it's a Bultaco thing) but am wondering if I should be starting with a 250 or less? I weigh 14 stone at the moment (hoping this is going to go down to 13 stone!) but in effect I think I'll be starting again as a novice. I also saw a 4 stroke Sherco 320 at a good price but are these unsuitable for a novice? My budget is £1,000 to £1,500 for my first bike.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers, Martin.

I think most people would say the 320 fourstroke is unsuitable for most things :chairfall:

290's are a straightforward bike , check suspension linkage bearings and listen for main bearings whirring.

Stators can be a problem: look for kicking back on starting and cutting out when warm.

You can get down to the club site and have a chat with the secretary who can fill you in, avoid the 320 like the plague, a couple in the club have 290's and I have a 300 gas gas which is softened and you are more than welcome.

there may be a club member who has a bike in your budjet.

e mail me for more info

Thanks for the heads up on the 320, why do manufacturers offer a 4 stroke? Is there any advantage over a 2 stroke?

When's the best day/time to come down the club site Nigel? I'll give the club contact a ring at the weekend as I'm back up to the bike show at the NEC again tomorrow.