Ty175 Fork Seal Replacement

trialsrfun

Need to replace the fork seals on my sons TY175 Majesty problem is holding the internals while unscrewing the allen bolt at the bottom of the slider

Is it possible to make a special tool for this or is there another way

Will try ther air wrench trick first

problem is we do not know what it needs down there having never had the forks apart

the legs on a 250 are a bigger diameter so would the hexagon ? be the same size on 175

what size did you make the one for the 250 I could see if it would fit

thanks everyone

I have just replaced the fork seals on my TY175 majesty (250 forks) and had the same problem, I found a long screw the same thread (4mm i think) and put a point on the end. Then screw it in the oil drain hole until tight, then you will be able to undo and tighten again.

If the damper rod screws have been loctited, you may be able to remove them using an air tool, but sometimes find that this doesnt work. If the screws havn't been locitited air tool will work fine as feetup says.

The special tool you would use on a TY250 has a hexagon head, which fits into the damper rod. I can let you have the dimensions of this, but think its probably different to the one you would need for a 175.

Honda RS is spot on as usual. Some people use loctite on the damper rod screws so an impact driver may not unscrew them if that is the case.

The top end of the damper rod on the TY175 is definitely different to on the TY250 twinshock. From memory the TY175 damper rod top has a circular tip approx 12mm diameter with two flats milled off. A piece of steel tube flattened on two sides will do the job holding the damper rod and if you use a good light and look with the forks bottomed you will be able to see exactly what is needed.

Paul McLeod's technique also sounds good for loctited screws and is probably less work than making a special tube spanner.

Our bike appears to be the same as yours Paul but has the chrome frame, slab sided alloy tank & red & blue seat, very good to ride & turns really well.

Have you seen the ones on the yamaha-majesty.com website

I have seen the bike with the ex-works engine it is really something, the engine cases are magnesium and I am told that there are many titanium parts inside as well as electronic ignition which was fitted to the factory bikes

pity there are not more works bikes & bits around from that era as they are really interesting

there then seemed to be much more ongoing developement & variety than we seem to get at present, but then again I suppose that they have already done it all.

It would be really interesting if Honda ran a seperate team to Montesa with different works special bikes

fingers crossed it could happen

I made a tool from a socket I believe. If I can find it I post a pic tonight.

175 is differnt from 250

Impact gets it loose usually, but I am cautious about tightening back up with the impact unless you are familiar with the gun and how tight is will be.

k

Didn't find the tool, but found a picture of it. Will paste below.

If you have stock TY175 forks, there is a flat sided aluminum nut/tang on top of the internals. Tool I made from a 3/8 drive 5/16 square socket with the sides ground out. After the picture was taken I welded it onto a length of stainless tubing so it could not come off the socket extension while buried down inside the fork.

The tool at bottom of picture is for TY monoshock front forks. The top of the internal parts is shown bottom left. I beleive the hex nut was 7/8 (22mm?) just welded to a length of stainless 1/2 OD tubing with a 3/8 socket welded to top to accept a ratchet.

From my notes files:

FORK SEALS FOR TY250 a/c/d 74, 76-77 ARE34 MM X 46 MM X 10.5 MM. Garter spring on seal side, plus std lip wiper outside. Aftermarket K & S, Taiwan bought on ebay.

Listed as many Suz TS & TM 250. Yam YZ 100 & 125, MX125, DT250 of 70

post-12-1116297802.jpg