Ultrasonic Cleaner

houseape1000

I have been looking at ultrasonic jewellery cleaners on t' internet for around £30.

I thought it might be handy for cleaning the carb and maybe other stuff too - certainly not jewellery.

Has anyone found one with a basket big enough....the ones I've seen so far are about 40mm deep and I would imagine this isn't quite big enough.

Just for reference - I was looking at the JPL7050 - other brands are available.

Has anyone tried anything similar.

I would think a 5 minute clean once a fortnight would keep everything totally spotless.

Just a thought, and for £30 if its not up to the job you could always clean the wifes jewellery !

Regards,

Andy

I make jewellery for a living, so i have a couple of ultrasonic cleaners mine were about £500.00.

I have occasionaly used them to clean the carb but its a pain you then have to drive out any remining liquid (WD40 and then an air line)

i had to hold half of the carb in the solution then turn it around to do the rest, must not rest on the bottom of the tank and DONT PUT YOUR HANDS IN WHEN ON! not good for your bones.

I find the best and quickest way is to spray brake cleaner in and around the jets and body then an air line and the cleaner evaporates.

If you do want to buy one the £30 to £40 ones work very well though and you can keep the wifes jewellery clean too.

Steve.

You get what you pay for! 30 quid doesn't sound a lot.

I have a half decent one and find the inside of carb is quite clean nothing much came out of it.... the UC won't remove the varnish build up. I'd pick that you'll wreck the carb with too much assembly/disassembly.

• 2 weeks later...

It's worth keeping an eye out in Aldi. A while back, on a Trackday Forum, word was put out that they were on sale for about £5. I didn't believe it so went along to check - and there they were :D

I've used it a couple of times, and it works ok.

To get the outside of dirty carbs etc clean, I've rigged up a little grit blaster from fuel pipe and a pop bottle and stick it on the end of my air line. Using BiCarb of Soda as the medium, blast the ally clean, and then rinse under the tap.

Wear a mask

I would save your pennies and get a good one. I ended up buying one from this company: http://www.walkerelectronics.co.uk/products_ultrasonicbaths.php

They sell damaged ones, I bought one but can't find anything wrong with it. Mine has a heating element and timer. Make sure you use their fluid as it really does shift the dirt.....But don't put Jewlery in it. Mine rattled the gems out of the wife engagement ring!