Beta Evo Back Brake And Mud

dannyb

does anyone else find their beta EVO back brake rubbish when conditions get a bit muddy? it seems that as mud splashes onto and into the caliper, it is unable to self clean itself and because it is a tiny caliper, the power drops off considerably!

Also, my lever sometimes catches on something as you press it and therefore the brake doesn't engage. most of the time it doesnt do this, but every so often you will feel this notch.

I looked at it thinking it may be bent lever but it seems ok - just very tight tolerances in there!

My son and I both ride 2011 Evo's and neither of us have had this problem. But a friend of mine has! In my own opinion it's down to the pads used ( we use Galfer) and how you ride. I tend to have my toe on the brake pedal and I think this stops mud knocking back the pads/pistons.

As for the pedal/lever catching, Have a close look at the Top Hat bearing/bush. I have had part of the lip/rim brake off and this led to the type of catching you have described.

I hope this helps

I think it is a design failure. Check the geomety. The pivot for the rear brake level is located well above the footrest. When you push the lever down, the distance between the peg on the brake lever and ther footrest will decrease and there is no way that the peg on the lever would slide closer to the footpeg under the rubber sole. This will lock the brake lever up and prevent proper braking. The only way to deal with this is to lift your foot from the footpeg and brake with your toes.

Most bikes have a proper design with the pivot close to the footrest but Beta doesn´t.

You may need to replace the pads. Are they organic pads? Organic pads will not grip after getting them wet. I have had this problem with the pedal. it was caused by the pedal pivot bolt being set to tight and no lube between the pedal and the frame. I think you need to remove the brake pedal have a look at the bearings to make sure they work and put some water proof grease between the pedal and the frame before you tighten everything back up. Leave the bolt loose enough so the pedal moves without binding.

Edited by liviob