Places To Mount A Gopro?

sherco34

• 1 year later...

Bump!

Anything changed here? I have purchased a GoPro to record some of our exploits on the trials bikes.

I did some test footage on the trail bikes, weekend just gone. Used a bar mount to put the camera on the bars in the centre. View gave a little bit of bike in frame (speedo and some of plastic cover) for perspective.

It worked pretty good but on the bars on a trails bike and the amount of bar turning we do it may send ya seasick. Ripping along the trails at speed the bar mount was pretty good.

I have a plastic mount for a helmet so I'll put that on and give it a go??? Saw the chest mounts and they would be uncomfortable tightened up.

One thing I noticed with bar mount and the GoPro lens... I'd rip up a bit steep hill and the camera sure made it look much flatter than it was!!!!

My wife had her new trail bike out this last weekend and happened to have a slow speed off... got it all on camera!! Don't worry boys! The bike is OK!!!

She is fine as well... didn't even bother her that her knee was well swollen! Rode the rest of the day....

Mags

These pics will give you the mount area on the enduro. Apologies for the quality as they are just pics of the iMac screen taken by my Olympus still cam while the video is paused.

The Gopro has a Burst mode which takes 30 still pics in 1 second with 12 megapixel still cam.

The video cam resolution I use is... 1080 HD at 48 fps. I get 2 hrs 14 mins from a 32 gig Sandisk Ultra....and about 2.5 hrs recording from battery pack.

Pic 1 is the view from cam on bike

Pic 2 is the off by wife!

Pic 3 is her crossing the creek... notice she has reverted to trails position rather than sitting! Hehehehehe

Mags

post-20008-0-88716700-1404114685_thumb.jpg

post-20008-0-31631200-1404114713_thumb.jpg

post-20008-0-53692500-1404114734_thumb.jpg

i like messing around with different angles and got the same results mentioned... helmet cam tends to be the smoothest but it flattens everything out. chest cam tends to be show the terrain better but isn't as smooth.

a handy angle to throw in occasionally might be the boot cam. the gopro is stuck on to a bit of alloy tubing hammered flat and just slid down into the boot. you can face it backwards or forwards and is pretty good unless the terrain gets very bumpy.

when we are doing sections we mix the footage up a bit by getting guys who are taking a break to do some filming by hand. only prob is if you stay on the side setting you need to get pretty close to the bike or it looks far off in the distance. the medium or narrow angle view can work better although the guy filming will need a good steady hand as the image gets shakier.

• Like 1

Ok! It sounds like a helmet mount and chest mount are staples so I'll grab a chest mount (have the helmet in top mount and side mount).

I like the "boot cam" and its simplicity.... I'll try that one!

I was thinking of removing front number plate and fabricating a mount in the centre of the head stem. This would be a steady view verses a bar mount and the rapid side to side of the trials bars. Obviously, once camera removed the plate can zip clip back on. Might check on side to side movement today, the stanchion might hit it at full lock?

Also, would a kidney belt view be any good? Seems you might be able to angle that to take in bars and terrain just ahead?

Sherconoob,

Geez you do great vids! Especially the learn to ride series!!! Background music, seamless cuts whilst maintaining viewer interest, a splash of comedy! Great stuff!

As a complete beginner to motion film could you suggest a basic beginner software to edit the fluff out of my vids? The guy in the store recommended "elements"??? Is the Gopro software a good beginner editor???

Just being able to cut it to a watchable video for the kids (and their kids, eventually) would suffice... titles, music, creative editing may come later depending on learning curve!

Thanks for any advice!

Mags

Edited by mags

Thanks for the tip! I downloaded GoPro Studio and it fits the bill for beginner editing! I have now learnt to convert vid and pull a still shot from footage.

They come out pretty good! Not like my Cannon 18 mp with pro lenses but pretty good all the same!

A sample or two...

Mags

post-20008-0-40820200-1404194027_thumb.jpg

post-20008-0-25024900-1404194048_thumb.jpg

hi mags

sorry on the late reply, couldn't log in for some reason! hope the gopro software does the trick. i use sony vegas which is more cocomplicated but you can do broadcast quality stuff with it. the basic version is as cheap as $35 on ebay from the US.

re: the chest mount, some of us just make them using the base plate the camera was mounted on in the box. if you google around you'll see it works pretty well and only costs a few quid for some straps and buckles.

I prefer the chest mount because it allows you to see what is ahead and also see the movement of the bars. Once I am riding I don't even feel it. No problem with straps feeling tight. It feels much more like riding the bike.

I also have the helmet mount and found the side is better than the top. Mount it far enough back to not be in your peripheral vision. Top mount is much more likely to snag on overhead branches. Bad for the camera and can transfer a lot of force to your neck.

Edited by thats_a_five