Diy Fantic 200 Stator Exciter Coil Rewind

rtm

Just completed a DIY exciter coild rewind with great success - so far !

I got hold of some 0.1mm magnet wire (enamel coated copper resisiter wire) used a dremil to remove the old windings - that was the hardest bit. cleaned off the enamel coating at the end of the wire and soldered it to the tail end of the old winding. if in doudt just wire it to the bar so it goes to earth. Then wind wind wind till you fill up the spool. ( I rigged up my electric drill for this bit) keeping the wire tight as you can. I gave up with neat winding and just tried my best to keep it even. when the spool was full 30 mins later, cut it off and soldered the end to the wire nipple and coated the whole lot in epoxy.

fitted it to the bike and she fired up.

£3 for the wire verses £80 for a new coil.

Sadly no picture. However - Rode a trial on it today. All was going well and then it started to backfire occasionally. I new plug and all was good again, then at the last section it backfired and stopped with a smell of burnt electrics - opps looks like the HT coil might have gone pop, will get the tank off and investigate during the week ahead. Probably too many windings producing too much voltage would have been the cause. (I did get a little carried away)

I have just removed the plug to check for a spark - and its still sparking very well.

So I am thinking, maybe the capacitor which holds the charge until triggered has popped.

I will stick the old Dansi HT coil back on and see if it fires up this evening.

I'll then rip the Ducati style HT coil appart and see what has blown within.

Any advise greatly appreciated, cant remember a great deal about inductance and capacitance from my college days.

• 5 weeks later...

Quick update -

Playing around with my old HT coil I discovered I had a spark which could jump a 1 1/2" gap. I investigated the correct resistance for the exciter coil to be 400 to 600 ohms - I had 1600 ohms.

Today I unwound some of those windings until I achieved 500 ohms spot on.

New Ducati coil and she lives again.