Help Sherco 125 2008 Will Only Start With The Choke On

zak

Blimey... sounds like quite an expensive rebuild!!

from the detail of the rebuild it sounds like the "seals and bearings" are likely to be the crank seals and bearings.

I'm assuming a shop / garage did the rebuild for you? Did the bike run ok when you first got it back?

Dom

The plot thickens!

Poor eyesight has decieved more thal one fellow whilst trying to catch a glimmer of light through a pilot jet of a diameter of just over 0.3mm! Even a tiny spec of chrystaline sand may decieve the eye!

I have my fine wire as a tester to pass through the tiny hole. I have also used the blasting method using the spray carby cleaner to insure a steady stream, yet this may well p*** the stuff all over you so beware!

Same for the passages within the carb body, it needs to flow out the tiny hole in the carb throat when injected into the mix screw passage or visa vie.

There has been more than one decent running carb taken off a bike and set aside, then runs crap when reinstalled due to the dirt in the bottom that was dislodged in the process, just saying!

Do not even bother to ask just how I know this stuff! Jim did a great job in the video, but I did not see that part!

To add insult to injury, one may never actually see the culprit bit when cleaning, either! We have developed ways to do this, beeaking clean carbs over a clean glass vessle, then more like panning for gold than anything. All that is less important than the end result, yet it still denotes the fact that when it goes back together one is confident of the flow to the best of his ability.

In diesel systems, we measure dirt in microns, and it don't take much to foul a high pressure injector!

They do not allways teach this stuff in carby class any longer! Must be H&S reasons! All said, there are two types of cleaning methods, a blow and go, or a thorough inspection depending upon the issue at hand, so adjust accordingly! :blush:

My thoughts,

Edited by copemech

dombush it ran fine for the first two weeks i came home the outher day because i was oun when it was very wet on my way home it started bogging out so got home and cleaned the carb and cleaned the airbox put all back to geather and was still no better i bought the bike of a guy called john white it cost me 1400

Zak

Ok, good further information (i need to buy some thumbscrews for you) :hyper: .

It could still be either problem (carb or crank seals), however the likelihood that its a carb problem is greatly increased by this information.

A common problem when the bike takes a drowning is that silt / dirt gets drawn into the carb with the water. This likely enters the carb via the airbox into the holes in the bellmouth of the carb that feed the idle fueling circuit (funny that) and often the choke circuit.

Another potential issue in these circumstances is that the tiny idle drilling in the carb throat could get blocked. Look down the carb where the slide operates and on the bottom surface of the main airway you will see a tiny drilling or two just beyond the brass "chimney" (The circular brass fitting that the slide needle dissapears into).

The solution is still the same as discussed before. Remove all the components from the carb and flush both the removed components and the bare carb body with with carb cleaner. If you havent got access to a compressor buy a can of compressed air http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/190710459722?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla&crdt=0 and use that to blast any of the jets, drillings, air bleeds. You should be able to feel air coming out of the tiny hole in the main airway discussed earlier. Check every jet by holding to the light and looking for a clear hole, copemech suggested using a strand of wire (strip back a piece of electrical flex and remove one of the strands, or cut a strand of steel wire from a wire brush). Very carefully poke this up centre the pilot jet and dont overdo it as the orifice diameter is very important.

so if you havent had enough already give this a go. My hunch is that this is the highest probabilty. After this your probably into getting some help that can be with you beside the bike.

Dom

thanks dom am goning out to try now with the carb got a can off compressed air from DIY shop will let u know how i get on

and jfc im in the uk bangor / belfast

A quick fix would be to remove the idle mixture screw and blow some compressed air thru the hole. ( Re install the idle screw and start 1/2 turn out). This should flush out all parts of the idle circuit. This used to be a quick remedy especially for bikes equipped with Keihin Carbs. which are for some reason notorious for idle and off idle running problems

• Like 1