Urgent Help For A Beginner Needed!

dnh1x

Hi there,

I am completely new to trailing and I am looking to buy a sherco 125 2008 paxau and not really sure it It will be suitable?

I.e is it fast enough ?

Baring in mind I used to race MX

Thankyou! Help is much appreciated

Hi dn1x

None of this is intended to be rude or inflammatory...You made me chuckle with your post as it might have been something i would have said.

Hard to grasp before doing it, but it will smack you in the face within the first 10 minutes of your first trial:-

• The only help that previous MX experience will be is knowing where all the controls are and general bike awareness.
  • Above a certain point bike power is fairly irrelevant. Smoothness / subtlety, controlability, overall balance, supple / progressive suspension are the key.
  • Where tuning parts/ latest spec bikes/ flash clothing is replaced by subtle std bikes possibly 10 +years old, setup and adjusted perfectly by blokes wearing gear that served them for 15 years.
  • The competetive atmosphere of the track is replaced by focused individuals wandering around the section quietly planning their route.
  • You will wonder how that old guy got through the section inch perfect every time where you managed 10 meters before landing on your bum....

Hope i'm wrong, but trials is a completely different challange that needs experience / dexterity / timing that you will grow to respect. Also very sociable and great fun in a frustrating way.

I think a well loved. well setup 125 will serve you fine. Strangely the agressive tendency of MX experience might be less ruinous on a 125.

Alternatively a 250 will be more suitable if your already subtle and calm (i wasnt).

Dom

• Like 2

Must agree with Dom on that. Any decent 125 will carry one along either gently or to the expert level. They take a bit more to ride well at higher levels, yet are a good learning tool for better teknique, add a lot of fun to ride for a punter!

As a newbie/ punter/ wobbler, you may be better off, as even though weaker on the power, you build confidence!

Now tell me just how fast is a hot(top) rider in MX on a 125? Think you could EVER catch one?

Obviously you have never seen the lads in the youth WTC classes, what those bikes will do is awesome!

Edited by copemech
  • Like 1

your bike is just fine...i would say, find a local club, and find an older experianced rider, or someone that does a school, and sit through a couple hours of basics..leave all the MX bad habbits behind,

and if you listen, and apply all the the basics...you may be able to master Trials after a few years of riding. welcome...