Tubeless Tyre On Tube Type Rim With Tubliss?

scrambler

I have a Scorpa 175 4st. The rear wheel has a Michelin tube type tyre fitted, which from what I have read on here isn't a patch on a tubless tyre for grip. Will using a Tubliss allow me to use a Michelin tubeless tyre?

On a related question, I notice most of the newer bikes have a rear rim with the spokes fixed so they don't pearce the rim, where as some older bikes, specifically 2009 and 2010 Beto Evo's, have a different arrangement where the spoke holes have to be sealed on the inside somehow. From what I hear, this can be a bit hit and miss. Would a Tubliss make this more straight forward and reliable? I ask this because I have been considering getting a second hand Evo but have discounted the older ones because of the different rear wheels.

As you may have gathered from the questions, I am new to trials, although I have had many years racing and playing on motocross and enduro bikes. Thanks for any replies.

most people bodge the tubless rims with silicon, and multiple runs of duct tape to make the spoke attachments air tight (this area tends to be why tubless tyres go down, with no other obvious air leak). some of the older bike (such as early techno, 315's, etc) had the spoke attachments away from the rim and thus no air leaks.

I hit the send button too quick on the last post...

I use silicon sealer in place of the rubber seal which are an utter pain in the a*** to fit (a type that is suitable to bond to metal / aluminium) It's impossible for the air to leak through the spokes with that but still some tyres go down after a few days whilst others hold the air indefinitely. My only thought is that it must seep past the bead on some rims.

If you use silicon, make sure you only put enough in to cover the spokes, don't completely fill the well in the rim where the spokes sit, otherwise you will dig into it with tyre levers if it sits too high. Also, keep it off the suface area either side of the well, because if you get it on there, the tyre bead will not slide as it should which may not be so bad fitting it, but wait until you try and get it off... Make sure it is completely cured as well before fitting the tyre. I usually give it a week on a radiator or airing cupboard.

The tubliss system is designed for tubed type rims, I doubt it would work or even fit properly on a tubeless rim

Hasn't your 175 got a tubeless rear wheel?

Good question. Both front and rear rims only have holes for the valve stem, no holes for rim locks, which I find odd. How can I tell if it has a tubless rim? I'm 99% sure they are original.

I had a problem getting the rear rim to seal on my Sherco due to the spoke holes. So I bought the tubliss system and it has worked great. I did have to drill a second hole in the rim for the tubliss system because there was no rim-lock hole, but it has worked flawlessly, and was much cheaper than replacing the rim.