Motorcycle Dealer In The 70S

merlin999

Can any of the older bike folk remember the name of the bike shop just down from the dancing hall near the fire station, i google mapped it and it looks like its an empty building now. Might have just been dunfermline motorcycles but cant remember now.

Any idea why it closed and when also appreciated. I noticed county motors has also gone, although it seems its repairing motor vehicles under another name.

I moved away in the 70s and a bit disapointed when I returned last year for a visit to see them gone.

In those days there also used to be a guy called wullie pitbladdow who kept most of the parts for the british bikes but he is gone now also and new houses built there

Found this forum discussing Wullie Pitbladdow, some of these people seem to have fond memories of the area, much like yourself. Might be worth asking on that website as well.

Wullie Pitbladdow http://www.ducati-up...r-a-laugh/page3

Thanks for your help, when I was a boy then I had no money to buy anything decent and most of the visits to the dealers with my mates was to look at the bikes and pick up any free posters for the bedroom, and have a blether with the other bikers.

Campbells of Campbell Street, coincidentally (or perhaps not). You will recall the showroom was downstairs and the spares department occupied what had been a flat upstairs. The wifie who ran the spares bit did not seem to have any bike involvement, other than her job, but knew exactly what she had, what it was and just where it all was amongst the various rooms, cupboards, shelves and piles on the floor. Much better than computerised stock control and the average parts man these days.

When Campbells closed the place became part of the Ernie Page empire for a while but then was a variety of things over the years such as a household items shop before, in the Nineties, becoming Manx Motorcyles, if memory serves me. This was a real throwback to the Fifties with bits of dismantled bike festooning the window ledges. I think that lasted a couple of years.

Willie Pitblado's was just a breakers, in my day at least, and was chiefly distinguished by the presence over the years of a Manx motor in the window (wouldn't happen now) and Willie's distinctive white with blue stripe Bond Bug used to tow the Pitrite Special to trials. I'm sure he was chief marshal at the SSDT for a while but I certainly recall the story of him rolling the plot on the way back down from the Fort when he fell asleep at the wheel.

I suppose that makes me "one of the older bike folk".

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

Angus Campbell Motorcycles in Campbell Street, Dunfermline (bought out by Ernie Page in 1980/81), part owned by Jock Pattison (brother of Andy Pattison of Inverkeithing Ariel works rider pre-war and Clerk of Course SSDT post war).

Willie Pitblado - Motorcycle Spares Scotland, Golf Drum Street, Dunfermline - Breaker of note! Uncles to both Willie Gillespie of ORM & SSDT Mairi too!

Big John

Edited by big john

Yes thats funny! Knowing nothin, I was gonna throw into the original post there was a Wullie at ORM! Having dubts about being the same, I refrained.

He actually sent me a PM once, Hi I'm Wullie! Nice enough I suppose, Now that tie to Mairi! Now that is some info that explains a lot! Ha!