Hi From Newbie

kev69

Hi all just come onto site and would like to say a big hello from Nottingham just bought my first trials bike a 2011 gas gas txt 280 pro. I realise it is prob a bit of a handful for first trials however its was bargain and could not resist. As a lot of people on here I have done quite a bit of mx and enduro but fancy a change. Any tip on how not to kill myself would be appreciated. Already flipped over backwards no pain no gain :-) ps great sight loads of friendly knowledge

• Like 1

Go to the Trials Training web site. They have many really good training videos you can watch then go practice. Learn the basics really well, balance, throttle control, tight turning, etc. Only then should you start working on the tough stuff.

Most important - have fun!

• Like 1

Hi Kev,

I bought my 250 pro 5 months ago, I then joined a local club and have done my first trial (5th from last in an entry of 138) and quickly realised that it is far harder than it looks and is a million miles away from what I do on the ktm exc. But............ it is addictive, great fun and less expensive than anything else on two wheels to take part in.

The best advice that I have been given so far is to practice slow, tight riding and turning............ practice slow tight figure of 8's in the garden.......... I am just getting to the point where I can sometimes do this on fullish lock.

2nd trial hopefully in a few weeks.

I have found that getting the clutch set up right and using a slow action throttle is a big help.

certainly swearing less at myself, so I cant be ****ing up as much as I was :rolleyes:

Thanks for replies think the way forward is practice practice practice. Will try and find a trials club near me think this would be the best thing. Hooked already only had bike under a week. Has anybody got any tips on setting clutch up properly ? Don't think it's right at moment

As said above practice makes a perfect better rider

Clutch needs abt 1.5mm freeplay at the lever before engaging the piston, if you dont know when the gear oil was changed change it. Plenty of info on here about type of oiil and amount

Thanks for replies think the way forward is practice practice practice. Will try and find a trials club near me think this would be the best thing. Hooked already only had bike under a week. Has anybody got any tips on setting clutch up properly ? Don't think it's right at moment

the manual says set to a max of 3mm. Not sure if your year of bike has oil or brake fluid in the clutch master cylinder.......... mine is oil and I use LHM (liquide hydraulic mineral) which is available from halfords. IMO, it makes for a very light clutch lever. If you are finding the clutch lever a bit 'soggy' and hard to feel where the play is, it might need bleeding (or if the master is weeping, a master cylinder repair kit, which is easy to fit)