If You Were The Engineer....

brian r

If you were designing a new bike, what would you change from the ones avalible today? I'd like to see a water proof fresh air vent near the headstock for example. A sliding shock mount (or different holes with a pin) to vary the stiffness of the shock. Better and easier filter maintenance. More grease fittings. Better adjustablity for handle bars and footpegs. The things I like on the ones I see are...... Sherco's see through tank. Betas linkless shock.

Tell us what you would design and what features you like on different bikes.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuel injection (direct injection preferably)

Clear tank with larger fill hole

Indestructable plastic

Large oil fill hole

Easy access to rear shock

Rebuildable rear shock

Multi position bar clamps/top triple clamp

Adjustable footpeg position

Quick release shock linkage

Wheel hubs with NO spacers.

captive spacers are not that hard to make...here is a link to a set that I used in the past, just scroll to the bottom of the page for a description. I don't think the same type of thing would be hard to make assuming you had access to a machine shop.

Of course thankfully wheel removal is not something that has to be done all that often :o

I am a retired engineer (Heavy Earthmoving Equipment).

It is easy to say that you want this and that but are you willing to pay for them? Design is always a compromise, the product has to perform, be robust, easy to work on, etc. and it has to be priced so that it can be sold for a profit. The main reason a company develops and sells a product is to make money. If you cannot sell enough of the product to make a profit then you go broke.

The present generation of bikes that are available for the typical consumer are pretty darn good compromises, they are all better bikes than most of us can utilize.

I would like to have a bike that weighs 100 lbs, has instant power, has traction control, unbreakable fenders, requires no maintenance, no flats, no spokes, electronic fuel injection, electronic suspension control. And cost $5,000. Dream on!

I would bet that all of the manufacturers will have 4 stroke bikes available in 2005, not just Montesa.

Wayne

I am a retired engineer (Heavy Earthmoving Equipment).

I would bet that all of the manufacturers will have 4 stroke bikes available in 2005, not just Montesa.

Wayne

Is this official line from your time as a engineer at Montesa? :o

brakes you can get the pads out without taking rear wheel out!!

selectable power band for wet slippy or dry. traction control would not be very good, somtimes your need a fast spining wheel to clear the ****.

good plastics.......... that dont break and dont let the colour peel off. greese nipples on linkages

But I would like to see some preload adjusters on the forks. 

My Scorpa's got pre-load adjustment, I also know the Montesa has too. Can't speak for the others.

I guess I should go and check out some new equipment before I go shootin my mouth off :o

But what fun would that be? ;)

Unless I'm just hoplessly retarted I dont think my '98 gasser has em. But I'm sure spacers would not be a big deal to make. Although I must admit I have not had the forks apart yet to see.

Ah....the joy of being a newbie. :o:D:D