If You Were The Engineer....

brian r

My TL has preload adjusters too!

BTW, lots of us are engineers, just not THE engineers.

I wouldn't think it would be hard at all to adjust the timing to change the responce of the motor. If it could be done "from the cockpit" that would be a great advantage.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you guys might know that some of the things that you've asked for have already been tryed before, by Fantic. The 303 Fantics came stock with adjustable flywheel weights that could be bolted on or off. They also came stock with adj. footpegs, 3 diff. positions. Then, the Fantic section came with a powervalve that had an variable exhaust port that would open as the throttle opened up! Just some thoughts

:madsanta: Steve

I am a retired engineer (Heavy Earthmoving Equipment).

I would bet that all of the manufacturers will have 4 stroke bikes available in 2005, not just Montesa.

Wayne

Is this official line from your time as a engineer at Montesa? :o

good shot PA!yer sense of humor isn't lost.still not as good as yer canuck united national trials quip last week.

I wouldn't think it would be hard at all to adjust the timing to change the responce of the motor. If it could be done "from the cockpit" that would be a great advantage

my bike has a lever to alter the timing while riding, wheels that you can take out without any tools with no spacers to loose, hinged mudguards to ease taking the wheels out, linkless monoshock type rear suspension, some of the best engineering detail ever produced on a production bike. It cruises at over 100mph and makes a fabulous noise.

- it was built in 1949 :ph34r:

I wouldn't think it would be hard at all to adjust the timing to change the responce of the motor. If it could be done "from the cockpit" that would be a great advantage

my bike has a lever to alter the timing while riding, wheels that you can take out without any tools with no spacers to loose, hinged mudguards to ease taking the wheels out, linkless monoshock type rear suspension, some of the best engineering detail ever produced on a production bike. It cruises at over 100mph and makes a fabulous noise.

- it was built in 1949 :D

But God help you if you need to sort out your clutch! :ph34r::blink:

Hmm. Intresting, heres mine

Stronger wheels

Redisgn rear linkage that doesn't get damage from rocks and steps

More adjustability on the timing and or power

I dont see air filters as a problem, they do their job well enough.

Billet calipers and master cylinders for increased feel and performance.

an anti scratch coating for frames, rims, engine covers which is easily

removed and placed.

A nice Billet alloy frame for my mont.

There’s been some interesting ideas here. Some costly, some impractical, some quite good.

Microprocessor controlled fuel injection is a beaut. Man, the thought of not having to dink around with jetting, float levels, etc. just makes my Spidey senses tingle. We may be on the brink of this concept becoming reality in the next few years. Cool.

What about an electric motor? Not very practical with current affordable technology - it would need a lightweight power supply and the motor itself would have to be light as well - but as a dream... Dude, we could ride right past the enviro-nuts and they’d never know we were there. Couldn’t hear us, couldn’t smell us (other than B.O.!).:ph34r:

Here’s something that’s a little more practical and, frankly, I don’t know why it hasn’t been adopted yet. How about moving the airbox up where the fuel tank is, then moving the fuel tank where the airbox used to be? Wouldn’t be much loss in fuel capacity, the stinkin’ things barely hold 3 liters as it is. Might need a small fuel pump if the carb sits higher than the lowest point on the fuel tank, but that’s no biggie – snowmobiles run a small, lightweight fuel pump that could be adapted. This gets the weight of the fuel much lower which will add stability by lowering the CG of the bike and actually make it feel lighter. It also gets the airbox up higher and makes it less prone to water and dirt contamination, especially the stuff the rear wheel kicks up.

Oh, and HERE’s a revolutionary thought – how about providing a freakin’ SERVICE MANUAL with a bike. Yeah, something like Montesa hands out – but then Montesa is a Japanese company, right? :D

You’re welcome to flame me on that, but before you do, know that I really don’t care where a bike is made – if they’re good, they’re good, and current trials machinery is very good. But, crap, since the beginning of time European manufacturers characteristically do not provide a detailed service manual, even to the bike shops. What’s up with that? What’s wrong with providing torque values for cylinder heads or fork pinch bolts? Why can’t they provide tech data on the ignition system, or instructions on replacing a bent kickstarter shaft? Ok, my truck doesn’t have a comprehensive service manual, but you can bet the shop I take it to does, and if I want one I can purchase one.

See, improvements can be made without exotic materials and electronics! :blink:

QUOTE (overthehill @ Jan 6 2004, 10:10 PM)

- it was built in 1949

But God help you if you need to sort out your clutch!

post-2-1073516882.jpg

Edited by overthehill

a lot of good simple ideas been posted - the trouble is manufactures dont seem to listen to joe public when designing comp bikes - :blink:

why are seats so low? its only the likes of Dougie that really needs them like this - i rode an old fantic twinshock the other day and was amazed at how the high seat actually helped riding - more leverage from your feet/legs and if in bother you sat down and got the feet down - where on a modern bike you just spun out and fived - higher seats mean higher air intakes and more room for bigger fuel tanks.

we are brainwashed into wanting bikes like dougie rides where what we need is something different :ph34r: