Tl125 Lighting Coil Removal

hoodie2

My first bike was a 76 TL125 when I was 15. Sold it about 30 years ago and by sheer luck just discovered it again and was able to get it back. I'm modifying it for trials and doing the things I didnt have the know how, or cash to do as a boy. Eventually I hope to get a highboy frame for it. If anyone has one I'd be interested.

Meantime I'm stripping the extra wiring as I don't need lights. I was going to remove the lighting coil, but what do I do with the wire that connects the ignition coil to the lighting coil? can it just be cut and left as a dead end or do I need to do more than that to maintain a functioning ignition circuit?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Cheers.

Hi Mate

glad you were reunited with your old TL. I bought my 76 TL in 1979, used it for about 5 years then sold it to a mate, years later bought it back and restored it and have used it in quite a few trials,it just sits in the garage at the moment, I start it up occasionaly and have a play on it.

Back to the coils my bike only had one fitted (I tried to buy one back in 79 from Honda as I wanted to fit lights but it was going to be too expensive) I would trace the wire to see where it goes to in the loom, I think it would just be an earth wire. If you cut it make sure you can solder it back together if needed.

TLTEL

Thanks TLTEL. from the LT coil there is a black wire comes from one end of the winding and goes to the loom. I'm assuming this is the feed for the HT coil. From the other end of the winding is another wire in braided, uncoloured insulatio. It goes to the lighting coil. It already has a soldered connection in the middle. If I seperate the coils here I don't know what to do with the free end. As you say I could just try it and see what happens, but thought someone would know how to complete the job.

Cheers

Hoodie.

Just to follow this up; had to go with trial and error. Removed the lighting coil and insulated the the free end that used to connect the two coils. Result - no spark. Tried taking the free end and bolting it to the now spare mounting point for the lighting coil, to get it to earth. Result - sparks. I havent actually run the bike yet as there is more work to be done, but I'm hopeful that this set up will work.