Clutch Slip With Atf

cursed

Never experienced any problems before, however at a trial last weekend, the clutch was slipping alot under power in higher gears. In first it was not noticeable and was puting power down well, and in 2nd it was not too bad, however in third and above, trying to put power down just resulted in the clutch slipping like mad. 5th and 6th were essentially unusable and provided no drive.

Is this the clutch wearing out or the ATF I am using? As far as I was aware ATF is so light it should not cause the clutch to slip, indicating to me it is the clutch plates on their way out, however I'd rather check than shell out for new plates. If it's the oil, would Putoline Light Gear be just as bad, or will it suffice?

Cheers in advance.

I should note - currently filled with around 400ml, 1/2 way up the window on a flat.

Edited by cursed

I take it there plenty clearance at the lever itself and it 's not putting pressure on the clutch.?

Yeah the clutch is fully engaged (fully out as it were). As I say, I've never had a problem before, and I've not touched anything in the clutch area.

I don't really have an explaination, as if the ATF has broken down (shouldn't have however), then the clutch would surely drag, not slip.

You did not mention what year the bike is. The TXT and Pro clutches are very different design, with the Pro clutches being more critical on pack height.

It does sound like the friction plates are getting worn thin. Pull them out and measure the total height and compare to the specs. If there is still friction material but the pack height is too short it can be adjusted with different thickness of steel plates.

ATF usually cauzes clutch drag when it gets dirty, but if it gets "burnt" it can result in slipping. You tell by smelling.

Breagh has given you the 1st premis of looking after your clutch...but unfortunately you seem to have dismissed it. OK buy new clutch plates, these will be thicker than used items and give you clearance, if lack of clearance is your problem, BUT have you adjusted your old clutch first, given it free play ! or maybe your paticular design of clutch doesn't have any facility for manual adjustment and it's all compensated for in the hydraulics. I always find it's difficult to repair something, if your not aware of exactly how it works..think it's called 'shooting in the dark' Then again, if you've 'burnt' your clutch, through either bad maintanance (not enough free play) or general wear and tear, the plates will be knackerd anyway, so needing changing.

Hello cursed .don't take anything i'll message here to heart , as i realize your not quite grasping whats happening . Weather your using gear oil or ATF (Hydraulic oil ) it wont cause slip . If it is ,then it's doing its job so to speak.

The springs provide the clamping force , the steel plates transfer drive to the gearbox and ultimately the back wheel and the friction plates transfer crank power to steels from the outer basket (driven by the crank)

Now think about the forces going through there. BHP ( Power ) Torque (Turning force) torsional shear(whip) and finally the oils job . Cleaning ,cooling ,providing lubrication.

The clutch takes loads of stick . It provides a means of transferring and disconnecting the drive from the engine via the gearbox to the back wheel .

You are experiencing the effects of torque , whereby the crank turning force hasn't got the ability to be transferred to the gearbox because the resistance from everywhere else on the gear box is greater than the transferable input force and therefore ,like water , seeks the path of least resistance ,and so you get slip .

So what could cause it ? Poor clamping force , worn friction material ,worn steels or all three .

I doubt adjustment has any affect here,the problem is slip in higher gears

Pull the case off and have a look and you will see how what i've written works .

Go on the gas gas usa web site and you will probably find a measurement for the plates ,if not message kev at gas gas uk, and you'll probably fined that they are approaching tolerance . Replace the springs and all the plates then you sure off a job done well with no more issues .

Hope that's put some light on it for you .

Ted

• Like 1