Gripper Sleeve Puller

mudyman

Hi Guys

I need to get the sleeve off the crank (clutch side) on my 350 Gripper. There´s a Puller "Ossa special tool" to do this, has any one seen one of these for sale or know where you can get them ? If no longer available does anyonee have experience with getting the sleeve off with other methods (theres no room to get a puller between the main bearing seal and the sleeve) ?

You can get one from Keith Lynas in the USA at Ossa Planet. I don't know where else you can get one from

http://ossaplanet.com/partspage.html

To remove it without the tool you will have to make something. You need two circlips to fit into the groove on the sleeve. Behind the circlips you need something that will pull against the circlips, then if you fit a normal puller onto this, you can pull the sleeve off, but they are very tight so whatever you make needs to be strong enough not to bend.

I made a 4mm thick disc (ie: like a very large washer) with a hole with an internal diameter hat would just slide over the sleeve. I made two semi-circular circlips that fitted into the groove to form a complete circle and then pulled the disc forward up against the circlips. The disc centre was recessed a bit so that the circlips fitted into the recess and were held in place. I could then use a 3 leg puller to pull it off. Some come off easier than others, some need repeated tensioning and tapping with a mallet to get them to release. And maybe heat although I'm not sure about heat as it transfers through to the crank as well presumably so everything expands together? The more stubborn ones can let go with a bang and land a few feet away, so don't stand directly in line with it...

• Like 3

Thanks Woody

I have been thinking about this sort of device as well. I wanted to try a big Flare block but the biggest I could find was 22 mm which doesn´t quite fit. The Idea with a big washer is a good one and worth following. Did you have a thread protector on the end of the shaft as explained in the Manual ?

PS:

Pulling the drive cog off the shaft of my 349 Monty it came off with a really big bang and went to the other side of the room. Lucky that it didn´t hit me or the window !

The puller I have is tapered so it doesn't damage the threads. The Ossa sleeve can also fly off pretty quick so at least you know what to expect after the Monty experience...

Most damage I ever did was with a MAR rear wheel spindle. Because they used to bend (i didn't realise this at the time) they could be a bugger to remove. I had one stuck once, half way out and as an enthusiastic teenager employed the hit it as hard as you can method. I was absolutely battering the drift with a lump hammer and eventually it came out - like a guided missile it flew arrow straight across the garage and went clean through my dad's stock of flourescent light tubes, reducing them to powder in a nano second...

I also put the front wheel of the same bike through a french window following a badly executed pivot turn off the step up to it. Had to say I did that with a plank of wood.

• Like 1

this is not the best way, but I have placed a normal bearing puller (with split clamp) place the split clamp in the grove and nip them tightish, then use the bearing puller as normal with the crank shaft threads protected by a 5 pence coin.

a little heat from a hot air gun is helpful to as the are usually pretty tight.

This is the method I have used on a number of occasions and have not damaged the shaft but would recommend a more tailored method if you can make one.

Edited by spinningplates

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Had also the problem to remove the sleeve, but did it without any special tool except a two leg puller.

I rotated the flywheel 180 degrees put the two key's back which lock the flywheel, put the long special nut on the cranckshaft to keep the flywheel in place and put a two leg puller on it.

For others who also find problems and don't have that special tool

post-572-0-01217500-1377271414_thumb.jpg

Edited by fantic303

Most damage I ever did was with a MAR rear wheel spindle. Because they used to bend (i didn't realise this at the time) they could be a bugger to remove. I had one stuck once, half way out and as an enthusiastic teenager employed the hit it as hard as you can method. I was absolutely battering the drift with a lump hammer and eventually it came out - like a guided missile it flew arrow straight across the garage and went clean through my dad's stock of flourescent light tubes, reducing them to powder in a nano second...

I also put the front wheel of the same bike through a french window following a badly executed pivot turn off the step up to it. Had to say I did that with a plank of wood.

Good one Woody it does sound like the black & white silent movie version of Dougie at Goodwood House!

Edited by trialsrfun