Just Bought This 2004 125Cc

danyorks

Our Shercos are second on the list of all time most un-reliable stators just beneath Betas of course. The main difference (IMHO) is that most Betas seem to die an instant death yet I've seen a few Shercos (mine included) that run weird and run sick for a while. I'm told that there is an inbuilt electronic trigger, wound into the Sherco windings, that fails and causes poor timing/firing issues. I think the Beta windings are simply open circuit faults.

The weird part about dying stators is that a fix came out for betas at one stage that involved fit a leonelli ignition in place of the original, the only sherco stators that I know of failing have all been leonelli ones

The weird part about dying stators is that a fix came out for betas at one stage that involved fit a leonelli ignition in place of the original, the only sherco stators that I know of failing have all been leonelli ones

Hmm..we're into the realms of improvements and outright cures here?

At the risk of betraying someones confidence and the confidence of a very pro-active dealer, to be fair :ph34r: Please feel free to join the dots :-

I know of a good rider in the McTrial who was a bit concerned about the reliability issues of his steed, he was approached by the manufacturers representative prior to the kick-off and told to fit this new component that was the 'final solution' (pardon me) to the bikes' Achilles-heel. Un-named rider had no previous, personal experience of said bike's rumoured, common fault but promptly field-stripped and re-assembled the bike with the new component fitted.

Result? No spark, D.O.A. so old one re-fitted sharpish...like :banana:

It's all black magic and voodoo I tell ya.

Must of lost the others :P

Seriously, the Beta importer here is a good friend-actually owns the TY250C that I ride sometimes & he reckons the bad reputation the stators got came from was a large batch ordered from somewhere in eastern europe that wasn't specced right, the factory had no choice but to use them up as quickly as possible.

I'm pretty sure the newer bikes don't suffer from the same problems & that the replacement stators are good as well