New Owner/ Rider

scrumpymonkey

Hi all,

Over the last few years I've become more and more disenchanted with road riding & finally gave up 6 months ago after 23 years. I still had an itch for two wheels that cycling just couldn't scratch and so last weekend I picked up a 2003 250 Rev 3. I've had four brief rides and fallen off a couple of times and can't remember the last time I had this much fun on a motorbike.

I must admit it isn't perfect and have experienced the dreaded clutch drag issue. I've already searched this forum & will be carrying out the clutch fix when time allows. I've also downloaded a copy of an owners manual from the beta website, albeit for a later model.

I thought I'd post here to get any comments or handy tips specific to this model. Looking forward to taking part in this fantastic sport and sharing experiences with everyone here. Mybonly regret is that I didn't try this earlier.

Welcome to the healthiest drug I know!

I'm sort of the opposite to you, I've retired from trials 3 times and I bought my first road bike at 48 (a softail). I love my 4RT and I love my Harley. I can't see me ever not having both while health & finance allow.

As they say... its all about the toys.

Enjoy yourself, its later than you think.

Ps I'm a rubbish spannerman but the local dealers are quite tame round here so somebodt else will give you nuts & bolts info.

• Like 1

Try using a litre on Putoline Nano Trans gear oil before doing the clutch mod.

Its expensive oil but it solved my dragging and sticking clutch and £25.00 is better in my opinion that all that filing.

Change your Gbox oil for 450ml of Nano. Use this oil until it starts to go cloudy in the sight glass (it took nearly 50 hours of riding on my 200) - the clutch will most likely still drag at this point due to contamination etc but have patience.

Once the first nano oil goes cloudy change the nano oil again for a fresh 450ml. This second batch should feel way better and the clutch will continue to improve.

Before using nano I thought my clutch was on its way out but it felt ace once using the nano. I needed to change the oil recently but my local man had no nano so I bought a litre of Motorex light gear oil. I've used this oil so I could order in the nano but you can feel straight away that its no way as slick as the nano. I have a nice new bottle of the shelf though which will go in soon.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the replies so far. I love bikes and couldn't be without one, but after years of recreational riding and commuting, there's just too many hazards out their. I don't want to be the victim of another SMIDSY like that poor copper yesterday. The crunch came last september when I was travelling home. There are two main routes and the normal one was shut, I assumed for some ongoing work. I travelled down the other route and after a couple of miles hit a 7 mile queue of traffic which I slowly filtered. When I got to the front of the queue, there was a harley in the hedge with the rider looking very dejected and his missus being loaded into the back of an ambulance. I ended up getting home about an hour late to find my missus almost beside herself. The main route home had been closed by fatal where a car pulled out and forced a motorcyclist into an oncoming lorry. She's heard it on the news and cause I was late she did the 2 + 2 = 7 and was thinking the worst.

Anyway enough of that miserable stuff coz trials riding is much safer, I think. Off to order some putoline nano-trans and working out how to change the gearbox oil on this thing.

Welcome..the Rev is a great bike, tough, work horse, and nothing turns like a Rev.

i wished i could have kept mine,

i agree, before you modify anything, talk with local riders and see what oil they have been using,

the Beta clutch has a taste for oils that others dont,

hook up with a local club, and try and ride with others at your skill level, and ride often..

good for thr body, great for the soul..

• Like 1