Sherco 290 For A Novice?

kevpg

I have seen a Sherco 290 for sale locally at a reasonable price but am wondering if it might be little too much for a novice or indeed someone who has never ridden trials bike before! Any thoughts please.

Kev

Bought my first bike last year and did couple of trials, i am complete novice. Due to old bike being a money pit have upgraded to a 290 and love it. Think most guys would tell you to put a slow action throttle on it though. Have you ridden other types of bike before?

Rob,

Yes I do ride other bikes, I have a Husky which I trail ride and have done a few three stage trials on, that's what got me interested in a trials bike. So a fair bit of experience but just not on a trials machine. Good point about the slow throttle, thanks.

Kev

If the bike is in good cond, a fair realistic price for the year then go for it. Slow action throttle and retard the ignition 3-4mm (posted elsewhere on this forum) will slow it down a little and can be easily reversed if/when needed. IMO the best thing us to do is join a local club and ride the easy/adult beginner route and enjoy...

Bought a Sherco 2.9 last fall. First time on a trials bike and loved it. Did not feel it was too much. If you find a good deal on one I'd say go for it. Assuming you have experience on enduro bikes.

BTW the 2.9 is actually a 272cc

Yea, seems the later models are more docile, yet can still be a handfull for a novice!

All comes down to if you are not comfortable flogging a trials bike, it will flog you!

If you are a youthful bad ass, you will have no prob at all! :blush: