Scorpa Sy25F Vs Montesa 4Rt

scorpa 4 dean

I have owned a 2006 Scorpa SY250F for about a year and love the bike to bits. I would like to upgrade but Scorpa changing hands to Sherco and using the Sherco engine instead of the Yamaha engine doesn't do it for me. I have been looking at the Montesa 4RT and like the look and sound of the Repsol. The trouble is everyone I speak to is telling me I will be disappointed if I change as the Scorpa is the better bike with more bottom end torque and a better riding position. Has anyone compared both bikes who could give me some advice before I make a fatal mistake and sell the Scorpa and find out I hate the 4RT after buying one as trying to find another Scorpa is like trying to find hens teeth.

Hi,

I own neither of the bikes you mention but have rode both a couple of weeks ago at a trials ground, I also rode the Beta Evo 4T 300cc too. Here's what I thought:

Beta - Clutch really grabby, very difficult to smoothly ride in a tight circle. From a bulk perspective the Beta was the slimest but possibly not the most agile feeling machine. If the clutch could be sorted to be a lot less grabby then I have no doubt that this would be a nice machine. Always been a little disapointed that Beta didn't develop the 4T with fuel injection as personally I think this is a positive on the Montesa.

Montesa - I've rode 3 of these now, two of them the clutch has been just as grabby as the Beta which makes slow smooth riding difficult (must point out I ride a 2T very much on the clutch) but the Montesa I rode a couple of weeks back had the mitani clutch as was a lot better but still not in the good 2T clutch league. The machine also felt a bit clumbersome and I seemed to need to adjust my riding style quite a bit to stop the front end just skidding forward in tight turns. On positives, build quality is great, sound great & fuel injected. All the riders who ride these machines well ride them quite fast and flowing in sections and in my opion thats why they're called the marmite bike (love em or hate em) depending on your style.

Scorpa - I have read reports that this machine is heavy and clumbersome but according to the owner it weights less than a Rev3 and when I rode it it felt very nimble indeed, almost modern 2T like. The clutch was spot on, you could hold it on an incline just using revs & clutch then take off so smoothly and when you open it up it flies. I was riding obstacles as soon as I got on it that I didn't feel confident on the Montesa or Beta. Again the negative in my opinion is lack of fuel injection and the owner said its not easy to work on (rear sub frame off to remove carb etc).

Summing up, the Scorpa really suprised me and I have no doubt in a competition I would drop less marks on this than on the Beta or Montesa...

My advice is see if you can ride one at a trial.

Hope this helps...

I've had Scorpas for about 10 years and too hava a sy250f.

They certainly ride better than they look but I wouldn't saythey are as easy to ride as a modern two stroke.

What I want to say is don't be so quick to dimiss the newer Sherco engined Scorpas.

Still have that nice neutral feel and ride about 30 lbs lighter.

Had one for a year and has been faultless and I use it a lot.

j