Clutch Rattle!

shipdamite

hi all,

top day on the TY today, but on getting the bike home, I notice that the clutch has started making a rattle ............. more pronounced with the bike idling in neutral with the clutch lever pulled in, but then as soon as you put it in gear, it stops rattling?

any ideas?

cheers

post-17421-0-61664100-1369564641_thumb.jpg

post-17421-0-49771800-1369564623_thumb.jpg

Moving on from Mrs Boghopper 350's home-made pizza.

Opened up the TY this morning; no loose stuff causing the rattle, but the outer clutch basket has some play, both in and out play - which I think is normal - and there is some rotational movement between the outer clutch basket and the cog that it is attached to - and i'm not sure how normal that is (nothing in Haynes or after a google)

is this normal?

cheers

The rotational play to the big gear is fine unless it has worn the cush rubbers so much the rivets hit metal to metal. 2-3mm play at the OD is normal

It is common to hear a rattle with the clutch pulled in in neutral - on many bikes. It is the sound of the steel plates rattling on the splines of the hub. If you let the clutch out the steel plates are held firmly so don't rattle. If you put it in gear the drag of the friction plates against the steel plates causes the steel plates to be held against the splines of the hub, so don't rattle. Clutch released, in neutral = rattle = no worries mate

Feetupfun,

thanks for that - I was worried as I dont remember hearing that noise before. We had been dinging about at the RTC practice facility for a full day, pretty much all the time (aside from tea and digestive biccie breaks) so the bike had got pretty hot. After putting it back together, I used castrol 10w 30 rather than the putoline light gear oil that I had used before, and it seems quieter............ The clutch basket whirs and rumbles though at neutral............... reminds me of the ktm.

it looks like the outer clutch basket is no longer available either - the play on mine is more like 5mm, but it isnt 'clanky-no cush'.

yikes.

cheers.

• 1 month later...

the engine is out of the ty and apart for rebuild by my mate up the road. turns out that the last (monkey) that ''rebuilt'' the motor left out the washers/shims on the clutch which created shed loads of play which in turn has knackered some bearings. I have a complete new (to me) clutch curtousy of a well known auction site, so this, a resleeved cylinder and a new wisesco piston and some mains and other stuff will hopefully see the motor good for a good few years.

it will also then sound more like a 70's smoker than a fcuking dyke pump.